• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I'm an idiot.

CW

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I am working on getting my 9" geared and locked. I got a screamin deal on a detroit and 5.13's but I wasn't paying attention and the detroit is a big 3.25" bearing unit. I have a 2.89 and a 3.062" center section sitting around. I payed $95 for the detroit so now I have a few options, I can sell the detroit and try to find another one that will work on a factory third. I can buy an after market third like this
http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=111040&prmenbr=361
Or I can try and find a bearing that will work with the detroit and the 3.062 third, but this seems very unlikely comparing the two. Is it worth the $200 bucks for the stronger after market case? I am running 36's and a decently built stroker and low t-case gears are coming soon. Has anyone actually seen a third crack or deflect enough to destroy the ring and pinion on a rig as light as an xj?
-Thanks in advance.

A buddy if mine runs a stock third in a cj-7 that he sand drags, the 9 is locked and running 1650 paddles and powered by a 383 inch chevy. runs 4.30's with an interem (60foot time) 1.0 secs, comes off the line at 3500 r's He has had no problems, I think you'll be ok as well. just make sure the r&p has been set up right, and use new bearings.

I say it would be worth it for peace of mind to upgrade, but I have a friend running a ford 9" all stock behind a cj-7 on 39.5" boggers powered by a blown chevy 350. He hasn't broken it yet.--------Kyle

Back