• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pushed my jeep - TOO HARD?

Markm80521

NAXJA Forum User
Tried getting my XJ up over a rock embankment, around 6 foot tall. Got up and ALMOST over, front locker would of had it.

Anyway, beat up the right rear stock bumper a little as well as bent the tailpipe a little as the jeep got stuck on its' butt while in the air.

The right rear side sags now a couple of inches and I notice the that the boot on the shock is compressed further than the one on the left(drivers) side.

Shocks don't support weight right, so what are my trouble shooting possibilities?

Thanks for the help XJ'ers!

:confused:

I would assume that would be the spring on the right side. I have been through numerous springs on my XJ, and the best thing to do is replace them both at the same time, and i guess you should be replacing the shocks by the way it sounds. What type lift are you running, i am sure alot of us on this site can give you some good info for new springs. *The springs on vehicles seem to be more easily sprung the older they are (obvioulsly), and once you flaten them (compress them) they tend not to come up again all the way. I am about 100% sure that is the problem here. Good Luck, Daniel

Well, when I put the jeep together I used Rancho springs and shocks because they have a lifetime warranty and will send a new set without having the old ones.

A friend this morning said that he thought that sometimes leaf springs will lose shape TEMPORARILY? after hard flexing and I should drive it for a couple more before going through the hoops and getting new springs. Anyone heard of this? the springs on her are about 4 mos. old.

Thanks for the bumper offer but I'm just gonna beat the crap out of these and then get aftermarket bumpers.

Rancho full leaf packs? I had a set and they are the piecest pieces of crap available. They didnt give me the advertised 3" and they sagged really quickly. I ended up putting a set of dakota leaves under the rancho main eyes and all is well now. If you can really get new springs free, go ahead and get them till they sag too, and sell the old packs and start saving up for some reputable springs.

Great question did not check. I visually inspected the rear shackles comparing one side to the other and could not see any damage to the passenger side shackle although the bumper and tailpipe on that side incurred damage. Again the damage is just from sitting on it rear. Can that shackle get pushed or pulled and change the ride height?

Here are some pics to add a little light on the situation. Front locker or just better tires and I think...

1.jpg

2.jpg

Did you check to see that the frame back there is not broken? I've broken mine a couple of times, about six inches forward of the shackle box.

CRASH

AND THE WINNER IS........CRASH!

Right behind the (or in front of rather) the the tow package reinforcement is a "crinkle" in the frame, vey slight But visible. I guess I'll chalk that one up as permanent damage right?

Is there a chance that it will get worse and put me in a situation where I would further cause damage from moderate wheeling/ articulation?

Last edited:
Back