• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aluminum in the oil

don35414

NAXJA Forum User
I hade a engine oil analysis done on my 99 with 101K miles. The report showed a high level of aluminum, but only aluminum and not any other metals that would suggest unuasual wear. The company that did the analysis (BLACKSTONE LABORATORIES) sugested that it might be a crack working in a aluminum part. Any Motor gurus have a suggestion where I might look?

don35414 said:
I hade a engine oil analysis done on my 99 with 101K miles. The report showed a high level of aluminum, but only aluminum and not any other metals that would suggest unuasual wear. The company that did the analysis (BLACKSTONE LABORATORIES) sugested that it might be a crack working in a aluminum part. Any Motor gurus have a suggestion where I might look?

A crack on an aluminum part? There are only a few aluminum parts on a 4.0L. One being the oil pump, good possibility there. Or the rocker arm fulcrums. The RR fulcrums are very suseptible to wear so that would be another very good possibility. Other than that I cannot think of any other aluminum parts besided the pistons, and I would think you would have some piston noise that would indicate a problem with them. I seriously doubt it is any kind of crack.

Just guessing though,
B-loose

I saw this in a vehicle that had a leaky head gasket. The guy put in a tube of radiator stop leak. It is made of powdered aluminum and it migrated throught the leaky head gasket into the oil passages. Wierd.

Back