• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1 Key

churky89

NAXJA Forum User
Got an 89' XJ with 2 keys,1 for the door/rear hatch,1 for the ignition..
Is it possible to switch to a 1 key set up?
Like maybe getting another (newer) column and locks that would work on the 89'...

Do you have a 2 or a 4 door? If you go and buy new column and locks you will have 4 new keys for the 2 door and 6 for the 4 door. Because each new lock will have it's own key. The newer columns won't fit your '89, you're going to have to find a column off of a '89 XJ or '84 Wagoneer.

HTH

Urban Redneck said:
Do you have a 2 or a 4 door? If you go and buy new column and locks you will have 4 new keys for the 2 door and 6 for the 4 door. Because each new lock will have it's own key. The newer columns won't fit your '89, you're going to have to find a column off of a '89 XJ or '84 Wagoneer.

HTH

Are you telling me that all the locks would be keyed for a different key and none of them would match? Thats just crazy, any locksmith should be able to get you at least the door locks all working with a matching key.

And about the column he already has one off an 89 in his XJ right now so how would that help him?

What about just replacing the lock cylinder with a newer style?

on my 89 and 85 XJ both ignition key work in either vehicle.
My keys dont even have any teeth on them and they're about as flat as a razor blade. (~200,000 miles each)

Try replacing hte GM column with the ChryCo pre-airbag column (will probably fit) and change the locks to the ChryCo locks, and have them all "keyed alike," and you should be golden.

Myself, I prefer keeping the GM-style keying, but I'm used to it. My main problem is with three XJ's and three sets of keys - one of these days I'm going to re-key everything so they're all on the same pair of keys, and some of my headaches will go away. God bless custom dog tags - best key markers I've ever found!

5-90

BTW - 2D/4D doesn't matter, since the rear doors don't have keyed locks...

I've done this..or tried. I got a set from a 93 or 94 to go in my 90. The tailgate, glove box, and ignition lock worked, but the door lock cylinders did not work(or not directly anyway.) The rods that connect the lock cylinder to the latch were different sizes between mine and the new ones. Don't get me wrong I still like the Chryco key much better, but I really don't want to take the time to rip apart my doors and try and get different rods to fit different latches and blah blah. The ignition lock will have to be filed a little bit to allow the screw to go in because our older XJs had a screw to hold the ignition lock in. Good Luck if you attempt.
Collin

All you really have to do is get the right combo of parts for a 91-96.
Both front door cylinders and GET the little rods with them,as stated they are different.Get the glove box & liftgate cylinders.And get the complete steering column.If you get this all from the same jeep 1 key will do it all.As a note 95&96 XJ's had airbags that didnt use any electronics so you can still use their column.I have done this on a 87 so I know it works.

churky89 said:
Got an 89' XJ with 2 keys,1 for the door/rear hatch,1 for the ignition..
Is it possible to switch to a 1 key set up?
Like maybe getting another (newer) column and locks that would work on the 89'...

*edit*

NM, realized I was talking about the wrong thing.

You could always put in an electric door lock kit from JC Whitney and not use the door key....

Just go to locksmith and have em reset the tumblers in either door to match the other. I did it for around 30$, had all 5 doors rekeyed to match the ignition.

Back