• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Grand Cherokee parts on an XJ...Questions

anony91xj

NAXJA Forum User
OK, there is a chance I may have an opportunity to pull some parts off of an older Grand Cherokee, the style before they rounded off the headlights. It's got the 318 V8, but the block is shot and not rebuildable, so unfortunately a V8 swap is not an option here.

My first question is the transmission. Is it different from the one in my XJ, or is there some chance that it'll bolt up? I ask because my trans is tired and slips a little, if this one would bolt right up (including existing driveshafts, etc) it'd be awsome. This Grand Cherokee has the Full-Time-Only Tcase (NP 272 I think), so I really don't want that, the trans would have to work with not only my engine but also with my existing 242 Tcase. This particular Grand has D35/D30 axles, so those are worthless to me, if they'd even fit.

Next question, will the seats work out? They appear a bit wider, but damn the leather is nice

Any other bits that would be a good upgrade that'll bolt right on to an XJ? Any experience/knowledge would be appreciated. Thanks :)

Don't know all the technical stuff, but did read where someone put seats like you're thining of doing into an XJ. If I remember correctly to make it work, the seat brackets had to be mod'd.f

The only thing I've added from a grand to my XJ is the auto shifter handle. [simple cut the shaft in half and used a mallet to put it on] Like it much better than the stock, and for my arm length, like the few inches closer to me that it now is. Also used a rear cargo net and put it into mine. Yeah I know, nothing to big, but hey, a little imagination and ingenuity, some things are possible! Have a third brake light I'm putting into mine as well, since mine doesn't have a proper one. We'll see how that goes.

As for the tranny etc, I'd say stop by your local dealership and ask them. They may not know, but could ask. I've gotten a lot of info from my parts guy at the dealership I deal with.
Good luck!

Check www.NAGCA.com as to what type of transmission it would have in it. Also, the front coils can be put under the front of your XJ and would provide about 2" of lift (assuming you're still stock height). Maybe be able to adapt an overhead console if it has one. If its got rear disks, there are conversion kits available, or someone on here knows how to do the install so you can have 4 wheel disks.

the trans will not bolt up... the GC uses a chrysler tranny.... the XJs use the AW4...asian warner. the electronics for the two are completely different

seats.. they will fit if you are good at fabbing... otherwise no they are not a direct bolt in.

BlackSport96 said:
Check www.NAGCA.com as to what type of transmission it would have in it. Also, the front coils can be put under the front of your XJ and would provide about 2" of lift (assuming you're still stock height). Maybe be able to adapt an overhead console if it has one. If its got rear disks, there are conversion kits available, or someone on here knows how to do the install so you can have 4 wheel disks.

Nah, I already have the Rusty's 3" Spring Pack lift. The rear disc conversion is a great idea though...I might look into that :)

Thanks for the info on the trans as well.

Tranny info behind a 5.2:
1993-1995- 46RH (A-518) will bolt up to any small block and is essentially a 727 with the OD unit on back
1996-1996- 44RE (Electronic controlled by PCM) and will bolt up to any small block Chrysler (OD version of the 904/999)

If it was a 4.0 then I "believe" it was always the 42RE (elect controlled by Pcm) in the GC. for some reason I thought I read of a few early ZJ's that got the Aw-4.....

Travis

Digger87xj said:
the trans will not bolt up... the GC uses a chrysler tranny.... the XJs use the AW4...asian warner. the electronics for the two are completely different

seats.. they will fit if you are good at fabbing... otherwise no they are not a direct bolt in.

Actually, seats are somewhat of a direct bolt in. At least if you use '99 or newer WJ seats, and bolt them onto your existing '97 and newer seat bases; they will work if they are the Larado trim non power seats. I haven't heard how to adapt the power ones though.

Search around on this as there was a fairly recent post on this....

Ivan

Grand Transmissions

545RFE 5 spd. automatic transmission used in the 2001 - Current Model Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7L engines

45RFE: 4 spd. automatic transmission used in 1999 - 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokees with 4.7L engines.

46RE: 4 spd. automatic transmission used in 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokees with 5.9L engines.

44RE: 4 sd. automatic transmission used in 1996 to 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee's with 5.2L engines.

42RE: 4 spd. automatic transmission used in 1993 to 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokees with 4.0L engines.

46RH: 4 spd. automatic transmission used in 1993 to 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokees with 5.2L engines

AX-15 5 spd. manual transmission used in 1993 - 94 Jeep Grand Cherokees with 4.0L engines
I have heard they used the AW4 for the first half of 1993 too.

If you haven't upgraded your alternator in your XJ, you may want to look into grabbing the one off the V8 if it's the 136 amp one.

What about the power brake booster deal ? Sorry I don't remember what year the XJ got that booster, but I thought it was mid to late 90s ...

nhrocker said:
If you haven't upgraded your alternator in your XJ, you may want to look into grabbing the one off the V8 if it's the 136 amp one.
That's another idea, what's the rating on the stock XJ alternator?

What's the difference in the brake booster? Those are a bit of a PITA to change and mine works fine...

If you've got a 95 or later XJ, you don't get any benefit from upgrading the booster, since you've already got a dual diaphragm one. See the MadXJ article on boosters - if it's more than 3" thick, then you don't need to change.

Throw us a bone - give us the spec/ date of your XJ, coz that'll help define what you don't have and what's worth harvesting.

Since its a V8...grab the tie rod set up. I just did the swap on mine. The v8 ZJ tie rod is much heavier and stronger...as opposed to the XJ's "tube" type tie rod. Its a direct fit...adjusting your alignment is much easier since you only have deal with a smaller sleeve instead of that long tube which twists under torque. Seems like it would be harder to bend/break too. The stock XJ tie rod theads were 1/2 inch in diameter...where the ZJ ones are closer to 1 inch. Just something else to check out... Im keeping my old stuff for a trail spare.

Justin

Back