• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OEM Front Bumper Bracket question

JaysXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I need new front bumper brackets. I also would like to install tow hooks. Do the tow hooks bolt directly to the OEM brackets or do the tow hooks have there own brackets and replace the OEM brackets? I don't want to buy OEM brackets if there not needed. Thanks...

JaysXJ said:
I need new front bumper brackets. I also would like to install tow hooks. Do the tow hooks bolt directly to the OEM brackets or do the tow hooks have there own brackets and replace the OEM brackets? I don't want to buy OEM brackets if there not needed. Thanks...

Tow hooks have their own brackets that replace the bumper brackets.

The front bumper brackets come in I think three flavors.

1) non tow hook, just a mount for the bumper
2) Mild (my term) tow hook brackets, like the non tow hook, but with a little more material and holes for the brackets - I have these that I picked up from a junkyard - I don't really trust them. They don't extend back past the stock mounts and have no lateral stabilizers.
3) Tow Hook brackets - These are the ones you want if you don't want to bend your frame and want the hooks to be able to do anything. The extend way futher back than the bumper brackets, into the wheel well. They also have lateral stability brackets that help spread the load.

All that said, there are very strong arguments for just getting a front mounted hitch. Better load spread across the unibody if you get stuck, and some have tow "rings" at the ends.

Check out Rusty's or the C4x4 aftermarket brackets too. If you have to replace the brackets anyway, go for these or the OEM tow hooks.

Okay, I am confused also. Do the tow hooks have there own brackets that replace the OEM brackets or do they bolt directly to the OEM brackets?

Final clarification.

The Mopar/AMC (OEM) tow hook brackets have integrated bumper mounts and therefore replace the original bumper mounts. The aftermarket tow hook brackets reuse the original bumper mounts.

Re: Final clarification.

Lawn Cher' said:
The Mopar/AMC (OEM) tow hook brackets have integrated bumper mounts and therefore replace the original bumper mounts. The aftermarket tow hook brackets reuse the original bumper mounts.

That's what I needed to know. Thanks.

jeepguy97 said:
Tow hooks have their own brackets that replace the bumper brackets.
No.

Tow hooks have their own brackets, which fit between the frame rails and the OEM bumper brackets. They do not replace the OEM bumper brackets.

Back