• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

v-6 for a 4.0

lisdexic

NAXJA Forum User
I know this question has already been asked, but searching didn't get me too far.

A tree fell on my 88 laredo, and the suspension and 4.0 are still good. I also have an 84 pioneer body that housed a v-6 that I could swap everything over to and make a great trail rig.

I know people have swapped their v-6 for I-6 on the site, and I would really like to do it. I've heard about issues with the firewall being different, is this true?

And for those of you who did the swap - was is really all that hard? would the motor mounts need to be moved? Was the swap successful (does the jeep run fine without any major quirks?)

thanks guys

The first couple of years the XJ was not built to take the 4.0L, not without some firewall 'mods' with a BFH... I'd be more prone to find one with 4.0 and a bad drive train that someone wants to get rid of and go that route. Start looking around at repair places that have had them sitting for a few months or peoples back and side yards. Be suprised what you can find just driving around and keeping your eyes open. When I was teaching my kids to drive I was amazed at the things I saw from the passenger seat that I never saw from the drivers side...

having owned an 85 V6 (when it was new) there is NO reason to go from a 4.0 backwards - It is much quicker to find a 4.0 to drop in. In the Northeast 100 - 200 will buy a running 4.0 - in the XJ!

Back