• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

X Terrains or BFG AT's, or other?

Tim Brunson

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone,
It has definately been awhile. I have been very busy still looking for a job and going to school. However, I am about to start a new job, and have renewed hopes of going to Moab in October.

My question is this: Who likes the X Terrains? Are they quiet when you first get going on the road, or are they loud like MT's? I have been debating this question of BFG's v. Pro Comp since before I was laid off.

Any comments or suggestions would be welcome. It looks like we have some new faces out there. WELCOME!!! Always happy to have new members.

Thanks,
Tim
NAXJA member
"XJ for life!":cool:

i love my x terrains and have seen new heights with them. what i mean is i go to the desert a lot and love to climb the biggest dunes i can find. with these tires i actually made it to the top of one that is about thirty stories high that i could not get on top of with all terrains. i blew my first x terrain two weeks ago and have had them for a year and a half. they still have 50% tread left. if you get them at four wheel parts get the warranty it is worth it.

Xterrains VS BFG

Being a directional tire, how do they do if you have to go in reverse? I mean, would they load up in mud and spin? I'm considering a set but not sure if they'll be daily drivers or swap-outs for the trail. How do they do on wet roads?
I saw a set on a lifted TJ the other day and thought: "This ain't no grocery-getter tire"!:eek: :D

BLUTO :)

BTW
Are yours on a daily driver? You said 1-1/2 years you owned them and still have 50% tread.

I have had my Xterrains for about a year and I love them. I have had a couple of sets of BFG's and I won't be going back. I do most of my wheeling in the rocks and sand. The sidewalls REALLY flex alot when aired down in the rocks, to the point that it made me nervous at first. I am still running open diffs. and I really believe that these tires help get me places I wouldn't otherwise be able to go. They are a bit softer though and do wear more quickly than the BFG's.

Hope this helps!

I can't comment on the "in-cab" sound but I saw a local xj that I know has 33" x-terrains fly by me yesterday while I was walkin' the dog and they where very quite. No loud hum at all. I've seen the rig before up close and they look really good too. I thing there's a "Buy 3 get 1 free" deal going on right now also.

this is how i compare the two the truck to my right has 35 inch bfg muds and in this pic my jeep is in the middle of a dune we call patton. he has a 5.2 v8 and i have a stock six so no power advantage. look at the tire tracks on the dune then look at the next pic. im at the very top if you can see me. it was a fun weekend.

fbf936ee.jpg

fbf95149.jpg

Xterrains VS BFG

Yeah,...they're great in sand! But, are they only OFF-ROAD for you OR do you drive them on the street too? If so, how are their road manners? Loud? Track well? How do they wear....fast or slow?
Ever had them in mud?

i drive it to work every day 15 mi one way and to school. there not to loud they do make some noise but i have a good radio. above 2000 rpm in 4WD they cleared mud out of the tread great. they handle good on the road but keep them balanced it helps a lot. i try to keep the wear to a minimum by not going to fast on the road and it pays off. alignment is key. my buddy has these on his grand cherokee with a cheap lift and his tread has worn much more than mine. i hope that helps.

Xterrains VS BFG

Thanks,
I'm looking to buy a set for some Canyon rims (mostly off-road driving....some mud, maybe the dunes off Lake Michigan). How are they in the snow??? I know you're in CA., but figured I'd ask anyhow....mountains have snow ;) :D
If I'm still throwin' money like a drunk sailor, then I'm buying a set of 245 x 75 x 16 Bridgestone REVO's, they rate VERY high on Tireracks feedback with great wear and A.T. characteristics... These will go on my 16" 5-spoke OEM rims (XJ Limited) that I'm "custom" painting.
Thanks,

Check out Interco trXus. Better than BFG AT's in the snow (packed), totally quiet on the road, excellent in deep snow, good in the rocks. Wearing very well so far. Should be good in mud based on the deep snow performance, and far better than any AT. Best tire I have ever run - does everything well, which in my mind makes it a real "all terrain".

Nay

A friend of mine had the xterrains on his TJ and his only complaint was that they are terrible in the snow, and he went with the BFG MT's and they work fine. Hope this helps

aueagle

Nay said:
Check out Interco trXus. Better than BFG AT's in the snow (packed), totally quiet on the road, excellent in deep snow, good in the rocks. Wearing very well so far. Should be good in mud based on the deep snow performance, and far better than any AT. Best tire I have ever run - does everything well, which in my mind makes it a real "all terrain".

Nay

I second every word of that!!!

ran them all winter and spring!
http://www.authorizedvehicle4x4.com/ROMP.htm

Here are some pics of them this winter...

you can't compare the BFG AT and the X-terrains. NO contest.

X-terrains.

Since my last post I bought a set of the x-terrains and really like them so far. I've had several sets of BFG (both MT and AT) in the past and always liked them and had good, all-around success with them. Was planning to go MT again but decided to try the x-terrains.

My x-terrain experience so far is that they did great off-road on the one wheeling trip (desert dry-wash and rocks). They aren't nearly as loud as the BFG M/Ts on the road but they do hum and you can feel them at lower speeds. Higher speeds and freeway driving don't really notice them. I'm pretty pleased with them so far.

You should look at the Trxus, I've ran both BFG's and My buddies run x-terrains. From what we've wheeled, the Trxus are better in everything except sand. They are amazing in Mud and on slickrock. And their highway manners are excellent.
Good Luck

Back