• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 question

Swap

NAXJA Forum User
I would like to know if there is a differance in the AW4 from one year to another. The reason is, I believe I blew the tranny at the MWC Winterfest. The reverse would grab and then slip if there were to much RPM's or applying to much gas. I have a 96 Cherokee and have found one on e-bay but it says it fits 98 to 2001.. Does anyone have any info. on this?. Try seaarching but found nothing.

Thanks for your help

Tim

The only differences I know of is in '91 they changed the spline count on the input shaft (from 21 to 23 I believe) and there are differences in the electronics between the OBDI and OBD II models. Also the tailshaft os different between 2wd and 4wd AW4s.

87-90 21 spline, .70 overdrive

90-95 23 spline, .79 overdrive, wiring changed

96 - bastard year (wiring)

97+ 23 spline, .79 overdrive, wiring changed again (input AND output speed sensors)

you need a 96. 91-95 will work if you feel like dropping the pan and swapping out the wiring.

personally tho, I'd flush it out good, and make sure you're running dexronII (preferably OE toyota fluid)

you'd be surprised what a difference fluid makes in those trannies.

Atl XJ said:
The only differences I know of is in '91 they changed the spline count on the input shaft (from 21 to 23 I believe) and there are differences in the electronics between the OBDI and OBD II models. Also the tailshaft os different between 2wd and 4wd AW4s.
That 21- to 23-spline difference is in the output as it's a t-case difference. The TCU changed as well in '91 when the Power/(something) option was removed and the computer was hardwired into Power mode.

CheapXJ said:
you'd be surprised what a difference fluid makes in those trannies.

That's the best advice you can give to a tranny swapper. A flush is a must. The OE Toyota stuff gets a big thumbs up from me, too. As a sidenote, I threw some Redline MT90 in my Miata...and wow! HUGE difference in clutch performance and overall tranny responsiveness. I'm definitely a sponsor for that product!

TroyAndEddie said:
That's the best advice you can give to a tranny swapper. A flush is a must. The OE Toyota stuff gets a big thumbs up from me, too. As a sidenote, I threw some Redline MT90 in my Miata...and wow! HUGE difference in clutch performance and overall tranny responsiveness. I'm definitely a sponsor for that product!
I can't even count how many times I've had customers say "I need a new tranny for my cherokee/comanche" and I told them "no you don't"

since it's a 96, you can have it scanned for tranny trouble codes, and I would do that as well (if the electronics are malfunctioning, swapping the tranny may not fix the problem)

CheapXJ said:
I can't even count how many times I've had customers say "I need a new tranny for my cherokee/comanche" and I told them "no you don't"

since it's a 96, you can have it scanned for tranny trouble codes, and I would do that as well (if the electronics are malfunctioning, swapping the tranny may not fix the problem)

Ohhh, no. I was just referring to the choice of fluids if he was gonna do a tranny swap. :)

Back