• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need Help Electrical Problems

tom63

NAXJA Forum User
I've lost power to a number of systems just this evening and I have no idea what happened. Specifically my power door locks, power seats, rw defogger, fog lights, and the utility light under the hood have all lost power. I've checked fuses and can't find any that are blown. I'm completely stumped here. Can anyone help me out here. Thank you

tom63 said:
I've lost power to a number of systems just this evening and I have no idea what happened. Specifically my power door locks, power seats, rw defogger, fog lights, and the utility light under the hood have all lost power. I've checked fuses and can't find any that are blown. I'm completely stumped here. Can anyone help me out here. Thank you

My son in law lost power for the brake lights, turn signals and dash lights, all the fuses were fine. What I found was a coroded wire at the firewall connector that bolts onto the fuse block. There are several wires at the bottom of the connector that are succeptable to corrosion especially if you like mud. Not sure you have a similar issue but maybe so. I found the problem with a voltmeter since the 12 V that should have been on the lights was at 4V.
Dave

My wife had adjusted her seat about 30 min prior to my noticing I couldn't activate the door locks from the switches. I have a keyless entry from the Clifford alarm and that does work the power locks but the switches on the door panels are dead. As well as the seats, etc, etc,

There is a circuit breaker in the fuse block, that my wife has kicked and knocker out of the fuse block on numerious occasions. In fact there are 2 or 3 circuit breakers depending on the year and extras.
A 3/4 inch long silver (galvinized metal) box that plugs into the (inside) fuse block. You may find in laying on the carpet someplace, maybe even under the seat.

Dave, I've lost all of those subsystems except the turn signal. That's the inside fuse block I'm assuming...you say it's behind there? how does one go about taking the fuse block off to get to it? Exactly what did you do to repair that. Lemme tell ya, the cops love me drivin with no tail lights and my 4ways on!

You have to take the cover off, then there is a small bolt (or two) to unscrew in the middle of the connector (in the engine bay). You have to look close, it´s kind of a chinese puzzle to get the cap/cover off without breaking it, to access the small bolt (s). Cant really remember if it´s one bolt or two.` Do remember it was hard to see in there, with all the gunk built up.
when you get it apart it´s a pain to clean off all of the di-electric grease/sealer or in my case almost tar, whatever it is. It took me two cans of brake cleaner to get it cleaned up.
Might want to look at a higher connector real close and try and locate the cover tabs/locks, before you try the lower connector.

Back