• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ABS in older XJ...can it be disconnected?

Goatman

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
My daughter has an '89 with the dreaded Bendix ABS system. Has anyone taken it out or disconnected it? I know we can replace the M/C but that likely means some new hard lines also, so it would be nice if there was a way to just disconnect it. The repair costs are too much $$.

I'm aware of that, the parts that actually make the brake sysytem work are covered for life, but the parts that make just the ABS system work are not. The pump and, I believe, the accumulator are covered. All the wheel sensors and modulator, and whatever other misc parts of the ABS system are not covered.......and are expensive to repair.

Goatman, I think Bones did the definitive write-up on removing this system.

Eagle said:
Goatman, I think Bones did the definitive write-up on removing this system.

More than likely, whatever Bones did would be too complicated for me.......

:D

We determined that by simply not fixing the bad components the ABS system is deactivated (actually not working) while the rest of the brake system is working fine. Basically the same result as removing the system, just with the slight risk that the recently replaced covered components could fail again, but they would still be covered and repaired at no cost. We can live with that, and with no ABS in dry central CA.

I also have the ABS system that was installed in the 89-91 rigs. After waiting for 23 days in 2003 while Milam Jeep in Puyallup, WA tried to find parts that they later discovered they already had on the shelf, I decided to do away with the ABS entirely. Doing away with Milam Jeep is another of my life projects.

I first started by removing the ABS BATT fuse (I think it's a 2 amp fuse) and the brakes worked normally and the ABS was off.

At some point you will likely want to pull the bulb on the ABS light on the left side idiot panel. Pop the dash bezel off, unscrew the cover and gently pull out the offending bulb.

When I did an axle swap to go to 4.10 gears, I took the opportunity to remove the ABS computer, all the tone wheels, sensors and wiring from the rig.

After having done that, the brakes work well, no scary surprises and if history repeats itself, I shouldn't have to replace these parts again until I have 360,000 miles on the rig. The accumualator and actuator/master cylinder have both lasted about 120,000 miles and I'm on the 3rd one since new.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

John

So does anyone hee no how much it will cost to do away with the bendix system on my 91 xj i believe the pump is out you can hardly push down the pedal and almost no braking power i dont feel like having to always replace this component can i go to a non abs booster an m/c? And hardlines?

You found the only Bendix ABS thread that doesn't have the answer... PS, John90XJ's post is 100% incorrect and you WILL lose your brakes eventually if you follow his advice.

Google for "naxja bendix abs delete" and you will find an excellent tech writeup on how to eliminate the system. For parts you need a 95/96 booster (or WJ booster), possibly pedal assembly for ease of install, proportioning valve, and need to bend some new brake lines for yourself.

Goatman,
2stix and I just did mine about a month ago. All you need is the 95-96 booster with the lines attached (just cut them off about 2 inches from the booster) the brake pedal itself and a double flaring tool. Take the whole brake pedal assembly out. When you have it out take the bolt that holds the brake pedal in said housing. You just need the pedal and you NEED to re use the assembly box from the 89. Also grab the prop valve just in case you need an extra!

Back