• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire Siping--Who has done it? Did you have good results??? Where did you get it done

Big Red

NAXJA Forum User
Tire Siping--Who has done it? Did you have good results??? Where did you get it done?
My bro, Nate, got his new Toyo MTs siped at Les Schwab where he got the tires for $11/tire. Just wondering. I'm planning on siping my 37" mtrs.

Re: Tire Siping--Who has done it? Did you have good results??? Where did you get it done

I have my 36x12.50 tsl radial siped and it is great. They behave better in snow and rain and it adds traction off road. I got it done at les shwab's for $12 a tire.

Re: Tire Siping--Who has done it? Did you have good results??? Where did you get it done

Are you planning on doing it yourself? If so, talk to ForeWheeler. He did his at NAC Fest last year...looked like a long slow pain in the ass.

i had it done on my BFG MT's and it dramatically improved traction on wet pavement! as for offroad, i noticed that it made my tires chunk easier...

brandon

Urban Redneck said:
Are you planning on doing it yourself? If so, talk to ForeWheeler. He did his at NAC Fest last year...looked like a long slow pain in the ass.

I groved mine, where siping doesn't take any rubber out.

Of course, after the amount of time I spent doing it I'll tell you that I can climb like spider man now.

it's good, do it, even siping will help your lugs grab more, $11 ea is cheap enough.

Have it done by a tire shop. I got my Goodyear MTRs done and LOVE it. Some say it reduces tire life, but the increased traction is well worth it IMHO. Noticed alot more traction on wet/icy roads (onroad) for sure! "Discount Tire" did mine when I bought them.

Sounds good, thanks you guys. Anyone else??? Also how many cuts (sipes/grooves etc) to each section? I saw my bro's tires after he got them done at L.S. and they siped them down the middle of each lug, would you think doing 4 small cuts or so down each lug would be better?

Troy

if you're worried about rain/ice driving then get it done. otherwise i wouldn't. my MTRs are chunking enough without being siped, siping would make it worse.

I was 'leary' about having my tires siped. I had already purchased a set of traction tires for my wife's Cherokee. I had heard that it does not shorten the life of the tire much. The 6-ply tires were an aggressive road tread and relatively hard. My pickup was taken to Les Schwab and they did the siping. It greatly improves the traction and I notice a slightly different sound as it rolls. Just seems to be "stickier" on the road. Have not noticed any abnormal wear yet.

Glad I got it done, and am contemplating having the next set siped when installed for year-round use.

Fore Wheeler said:
I groved mine, where siping doesn't take any rubber out.

Of course, after the amount of time I spent doing it I'll tell you that I can climb like spider man now.

it's good, do it, even siping will help your lugs grab more, $11 ea is cheap enough.

Groved, siped...it's all good! I just remember it was a long time before we saw you at the fire again!

Tires that are siped should actually last longer, except for if the tire chunks while off roading. It will last longer on the road because of more flex in the lugs you get more contact and more even wear pattern. Siping also lets the tires run a bit cooler which will make them last longer. Most tire places do siping cheaply, my local tire store (Discount Tire) does them for $10 a piece. It is worth it for the traction, I dont think the wear differences will be noticable though.

Another vote for siping. I wore out a set of non-siped 31x10.50 MT/Rs, and had the new 33x12.50s siped. Very noticeable difference in wet traction.

Anybody got pics? I would like to see one that has been siped.

I got mine done at Les Schwabs. Traction in the rain is great now. However I dont like the fact that there are chunks missing out of my tire.

Back