• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.8/44 width

xj4life

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a 44 out of a 1978 F250 and an 8.8 out of a 1998 Exploder and i'm trying to come up with a good way to narrow the front and widen the rear to give me a little wider stance than stock.

I have not been able to get an actual width measurement on the 44 but from what i've found on the interweb i'm guessing its about 66-68 wide. I dont think i want to run it at full width. I'm thinking of narrowing it down a common width so axle shafts wont be a custom length. What would be a good width to go with?

Also i'm planning on using 5/4.5 to 5/5.5 adaptors from spidertrax to get the proper lug pattern and gain some width on the 8.8.

Not sure on wheel backspacing yet, guess it will depend on what the axle width ends up being. Lift is about 8", and i'll probably be running 36x12.50 tires.

Any input would be apprectiated.

BrettM said:
cut the front down to Waggy width and put 5on5.5 outers on it, along with the spacer/adapters for the 8.8, and you'll have both axles with 5on5.5 and about 61" wide.

yup - though im not sure if cutting the 1978 front end down is really an option - you would have to retube - the cast radius arm mounts are actual part of the tube (as in the tube stops, the arm mount starts and has the same Inner diamiter as the tube, then that stops and there is another piece of tube.

that said - you might be able to just pull the tibes out of a 80's or newer waggy and (oversimplified) throw them in the HP center section and set your angles while your at it.

it was leaf sprung so the only obstacle might be that the driverside leaf spring pad is cast into the diff housing. shouldnt get in the way.

pulling tubes is no easy thing, one shop I know of won't even pull the tubes on a HP60, they'd rather buy an aftermarket center.

however he said this is an F250 axle, so why would it have the radius arm mounts? it uses leafs and can be cut down like any other axle.

BrettM said:
however he said this is an F250 axle, so why would it have the radius arm mounts? it uses leafs and can be cut down like any other axle.
my bad - missed the f250

i have a queston. my father has a 96 F250 with a 8.8 with 4.10 gears. now thats also comes in the explore, but the F250 is full size right. so the axle should be long then whats in a explore, why don't anyone use them for full wight axles?

Back