• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Water Pump OUT... Questions???

Rock.Wgn

NAXJA Forum User
Hey Guys and Gals,
My water pump just took a sh*t. I have a 95XJ (104,000 miles), I am
going to replace the pump myself, I know it is usually not to
complicated. Is there anything I should look out for? Any short cuts??
Is it common for bolts to break, etc, etc.? While I'm in there, what
else should I replace??

Thanks in advance.

Sean M.
95XJ
ROCK.WGN
:)

While not necessary, it's sometimes easier to pull the radiator out when pulling the water pump.
Replace the hoses, serpentine belt, and thermostat while it's apart.
Don't forget to use the antisieze
Get the right waterpump - the 4.2L has the same housing and bolt pattern but the impeller vanes are wrong.. You want this one:
waterpump.jpg

Yucca-Man said:
While not necessary, it's sometimes easier to pull the radiator out when pulling the water pump.
Replace the hoses, serpentine belt, and thermostat while it's apart.
Don't forget to use the antisieze
Get the right waterpump - the 4.2L has the same housing and bolt pattern but the impeller vanes are wrong.. You want this one:
waterpump.jpg

radiator??? I just went through that and there is plenty room to do everything with the radiator in provided you remember to unbolt the clutch fan while the belt is still on.
Oh yeah.. when you do the tstat, get the one from the dealer with that little hole and bb (cost me I think abotu $10 for both the gasket and the tstat)

i'm sure it would be easier with the radiator out but it is possible wiht the radiator, clutch driven fan and fan shroud in place. ( i didn't say easy but possible!) also you will have to remove the power steering bracketry and resevoir. When you do this make sure you note where each bolt goes, they're all different lengths. I'm sure no one is as dumb as i am but when i tried the remove the shrouds i popped them out of they're lower hold downs. there are little tabs on the bottom of the shrouds that pop into a little slot. I didn't realize it so when i didn't pop them back in it makes a pretty horendous noise they will scare the daylights out of you after you've had your xj apart for a few hours. :) Other than that it is pretty straightforward there is an excellent article on jeepin.com, be sure to check it out. Good luck!!!

Mike

Like I said - it's not NECESSARY but it's sometimes easier, especially if you have big ol' hands...

Good point about the thermostat with vent hole, make sure to keep it at 12 o'clock when installed

You have to take the belt off anyways, so you might as well take the mechanical fan and the shroud out as well. 5 minutes (maximum...) extra work will be worth it when you're not bashing knuckles on the fan blades. If you leave the radiator in, be careful not to beat it up with your tools....a piece of cardboard held in place with some duct tape works nice.

Be sure to buy an OEM pump if possible. It costs more but the other stuff is crap and you'll end up doing it again soon. Same goes for the T-stat which should be replaced also

Back