• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Vent Problem

MN-Cherokee

NAXJA Forum User
1997 XJ 4.0

I just noticed today that my vents have quit working. Everything blows through the defrost vents.

I can still turn it on and off, select the speed to blow and select the temperature to blow. But I cant change which vents it uses. Any idea what this could be? Everything else is working great, no problems that I know of.

I have the 99+ intake and a K&N filter. I double checked all the vacuum lines and everything seems fine.

Any ideas??

Brian

There is a lever that operates the mode door that breaks off inside the HVAC box. This was more of a problem on TJ's but I think the 97-up XJ's used the same thing. You can pull the remains out with a screw and pliers. The part is cheap if you can find it by itself. The factory has gone back and forth offering either just the lever, or having to buy the upper half of the box to get the lever. Pull the knee bolster on the drivers side and you should be able to see two vacuum motors operating the levers. I think its the upper lever, and it will usually break inside the box, so you may have to try pulling it out with your hand to verify if its broke. Let me know if thats it, I may be able to find one in the junk drawer of my toolbox.

Brian

Did your camojeep sell yet?

I will take a look at that. Thanks for the tip.

The Camo Jeep is gone. Sold last Friday night. Hows the TJ coming? Saw you this morning in the Matco truck. I'am driving a blue Mercury for the time being.

Brian

Last edited:
Fixed it. One of the vacuum lines going to the Intake manifold has a oneway valve. I had it on backwards. I turned it around and the vents started blowing.

I also noticed one of injectors was not sealing quite right and making a loud hiss. I put in a new o-ring and the hissing stopped. I also noticed the engine seemed to smooth out a little at idle.

Brian

Thats an easy fix. The TJ is kind of stalled right now. I'm waiting for special shims to set up the Super 44 kit, and debating doing the susp. now or later. It's looking like probably spring before I really get it going though. I'm considering building my own long arm, which could turn into a long project.

Back