• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2 Dr. Cherokee

rjontzen said:
What are the differences between the 4 dr. and the 2 dr. cherokee? I have a 91 mj and I'd like to look into getting a Cherokee as well.

Both are the same wheel base. 2 dr. has a large door. 2 dr. models you can trim out the rear fenders more to accomodate large tires than a 4 dr. Other than that, that all I can think of.

Hi,

Here in europe a lot of guys looking for 2 doors because they are not very common. If you have children a 4 door is more usefull.

Rainer :wave:
JaysXJ said:
Both are the same wheel base. 2 dr. has a large door. 2 dr. models you can trim out the rear fenders more to accomodate large tires than a 4 dr. Other than that, that all I can think of.

Go for the 4 door. If you are carrying extra people, the back doors are much nicer. It is hell crawling through the front doors to get to the back seat. Just my experience though.

The flip side is that there seems to be much more room for front seat passengers in the 2-door, plus the wide door makes for easier entrance and exit.

Also 2 less doors to rattle.....

It is hell crawling through the front doors to get to the back seat. Just my experience though.

It's hell for me to get into the back seat of any cherokee, 4 or 2 door :D

We have a 2 door and 4 door, and there realy isn't much difference between them. The 4 door gives nice access to the rear cargo area (both of ours run with the rear seat bottom out and back rest down) There realy isn't much difference getting in and out of the front seats. the differences I have experienced are:

-Front seats on the 2 door flip forward for access to the rear.
-Your rear passengers may like full wind down windows in the 4 door, where
my 2 door only has small pop-out vent/pannels.
-The 2 door has cup holders and ash trays where the rear doors would be.
-It's easier to just lock 2 doors rather than 4
-Both our 93 and 96 4 door Cherokees had an annoying rear passenger
window leak that whistled when going down the road, the 2 door doesnt
have that.

I love the 2 door, but the 4 door is the better all-rounder if you plan on rear passengers on more than the odd occasion. Buy the one that is in the best shape.

Copperhead

2 doors are much more rare, so there's some appeal if you're into having a different cherokee than everyone else.

Around here, 2-doors, though less common, usually come a little cheaper, which can be an advantage. Most of the ones I've seen are base models or lower package models. Fancy ones did exist, but they're extremely scarce. You're more likely to see a 2-door with zero options, including no rear wiper, than a 4-door.

The 2-door gives better side visibility if you're tall. As others have noted, the door hinges are overstressed, and tend to pull out of the frame, requiring welding. When shopping for a 2-door, look carefully at the hinges, especially the driver's side upper hinge. It will tend to pull outward when the door is opened all the way, and eventually will crack loose.

Most of the 2-doors I've seen have solid rear windows without openable vents. I believe the vents were an extra cost option or a part of a high-line package. That's fine if you don't often carry rear passengers, and the interior is a little brighter because of the huge windows.

In rust country, 2-doors will suffer from quarter-panel rot at the bottom, where the 4-doors have no quarter panel.

Finally, the 2-door seats can get a little floppy. Pre-95's share with their 4-door brethren a tendency for the seat frames to crack and come apart, which combines with the folding back to make them pretty slack. Not all of them do it. My stepson's 93 has nice tight seats even after 200 thousand miles, but it's something to look out for.

Back