• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer case temperature

Dirk Pitt

Adam Dowling
This is kind of an odd question but it's bugging me...

I installed my SYE recently (HD 231, replacement shaft) and have been crawling under the Jeep everytime I drive it to keep an eye on things. It isn't daily driven so it doesn't see much use lately. After short trips (<10 miles) the case feels slightly warm to the touch. Last night I drove it about 100 miles and felt it again, it was considerably hotter than I expected. I could keep my hand on it for a few seconds but no longer.

I guess my question is, what should it feel like? I never felt it before the SYE install, never had the need.

I'm concerned that maybe the pump is not pumping fluid or something else.

TIA

BTW, yes there is fluid in it!

Thank you all very much!

I guess I'll not worry about it.

15% to 20% of the power produced by your engine never makes it to the rear tires. It disapears in the form of heat in the tires, tranny, transfer case, rear gears and bearings

I'm aware of that just didn't expect the transfer case to get as hot as it did.

thx

How about running some full synth? Is that compatible with the jeep transfer cases?

I highly recommend it. I use Amsoil heavy duty Dextron III/Merc as called for by my transfer case and Amsioil Severe Gear lube in the pumpkins, Redline MT-90 in the gearbox. Not only do these components operate more quietly and smoothly (and less heat), but I would say my fuel economy went up 2 mpg. Remember in a 4x4 theres a lot more boxes, gears & bearings the motionpasses through than in FWD Civic. I never noticed hot temps from my T-case. Maybe the heat is produced by the tranny if you have an auto tranny and builds up there too.

So there, that's my know it all shpeel.

I just found this thread through the search...

Last night I pulled into a gas station after about 100 miles at 75-80 MPH. As I rolled in I heard a squeeking/squealing sound which sounded much like a dry u-joint but only at low speeds. Anyway I decided to go in search of said noise by feeling the joints to see if any were hot, none were but the transfer case (231) was. I was extremely surprised at the temperature so I opened the tool box, pulled out my multi-meter that does IR temperature readings... the damb thing was 240F :shocked: I pulled the plug to check fluid level, it was full and the fluid looked good, still red and no metal flakes. I took mulitple temp reading to see if there were hot spots, but did not find any, the whole case was about the same tempurature.

I'm less conserned after reading this thread but I still think 240F is a little too hot. I checked other temps too while I was there:

Front Diff 155F
Oil pan 170F
Trans oil pan 155F
Transfer case 240F
Rear Diff 175F

This was with an outside air temp of 65F, so I can only imagine what it will do during the summer when we hit 110F

Deciding there was nothing I could do there anyway I continued on home (another 130 miles). After getting home the noise had disappeared. but the temps were all about the same.

Anyway, I'm not sure if I have an issue or not... I have no idea how long it has been running this hot, it's just not somthing that I have checked before. It does have a JB conversions HD SYE kit in it.

Back