• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rippin the flares out

trashedxj

NAXJA Member # 1386
anyone liv near waynesboro or not to far from it that know how to take them damn fender flares off and would maybe like to come out and help me get em off for the hell of it i would like the help, and maybe do a trail ride after we take em off, so if ya get bored and feel like just workin on a jeep xj let me know via email [email protected]

I can not come to Waynesboro right now but what problem are you having removing the flares? On my '99 it is simply a matter of loosening the nuts on the inside of the fenders and popping the flares off. The only trick is the bolts tend to be rusty so you have to use a bit of PB Blaster and go slow - a couple of turns loose, then retighten a bit, and repeat.

When pulling mine off, about 3/4 of the bolts broke off so i just had to use some muscle to get them off.

same here....broke about half off so i just ripped the flares off the rest of the way

After busting the flares and liners wheelin' my 89', I took em' off. Busted bolts, same old story.
I liked the underlying factory flare/bulge on the bare fender and thought about just trimming to that point, so that it still had a slight flare outward and the a slight downward edge. Basically trimming the fender above the bolt holes.
I decided I wanted more clearance, but aftermarket/offroad flares were out of my price range. Researching, I ended up in the JCWhitney catalog and found side mount and lip mount rubber fender flares that come in pairs, sets, about 58" long, as well as 25' rolls, and up to a 1/4" thick. Price is less than $100 for a roll!
What I am doing is trimming the fenders right at the line where the bare fenders flare out, making cuts in the fender fanning out to a line I drew about 1 1/4 inch from where the bare fenders flare out and bending the sheet metal inward for a lip to mount the flare material to.
so far it's working, I am about 75% done with one fender. The flare material roll I ordered came in today and I'm stoked. Looks like its going to work better than I hoped.
I know the first thing everyone wants is photos, you'd think that Eden wasn't in the middle east, but Arkansas! LOL! I'm working on it. Photos of current progress have been taking but, My computers/scanner etc... has issues.
Pm me if you want details before I get pics posted.
One last thing, trimming the fenders like this takes out abut 3".

Back