• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Head Bolt Kit

bzdel2441

NAXJA Forum User
Is ther any places that sells a head bolt kit for the 4.0?? Or do I need to go to the dealer? Also what about a intake/exhaust manifold bolt kit, or go to the dealer for that to??

Thanks
Chris

I believe you will need to got to the dealer ($$$$). The head bolts are special and can be used one time as they stretch upon installation. Instructions say you can reuse them once and they should be marked if you do so. But be safe, to reuse the bolts is to ask for disaster.

When you install them you must follow the sequence and torque procedure. If you don't know what it is get a FSM or visit your local library.

Bolts for the manifolds also should be obtained from the dealer as they are not bolts but studs. If they are rusty, you will need a stud remover or use a good pair of vice grips.

Good luck

any idea how much that is gonna cost? do they have a complete kit or do i need to order bolt by bolt??

Also there are only 3 studs on the intake/exhaust manifold and then there are like 8 bolts. Do I need to really replace that studs, I really dont want to deal with them.

Thanks
Chris

I'd say you could get high quality hardware from a bolt and fastener store for the manifold bolts and or the valve cover.... that way you can eliminate the studs and put in stronger, hardware. And probably save yourself a mint by not going to the dealership for a few bits....

finding a Good bolt and fastener shop can be a real asset when doing any job.. Usually if I break a bolt/stud I try to upgrade the whole set with newer better hardware.... it just feels good and it's ooh so cheap.

That said you definately have to get the headbolts at the dealer since they are a little more specialized.

bzdel2441 said:
Is ther any places that sells a head bolt kit for the 4.0?? Or do I need to go to the dealer? Also what about a intake/exhaust manifold bolt kit, or go to the dealer for that to??

Thanks
Chris

Go to the stealership for new head bolts. This is one area where you definitely want the best quality fasteners so don't buy cheapies from a hardware store.
The head bolts are "torque to yield" so they can only be used twice (or reused once). Unfortunately ARP don't have a head bolt kit for the 4.0.

Back