• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Charts with all ratios in XJs

TheGirlfriendYJ

NAXJA Forum User
whats up everyone...i am new to the XJ world...i have a 91(kinda) YJ that you can see pics of in my sig...

i just got a 88 XJ with the 4.0 auto...i am guessing AW4...

i have also access to a 85 4cyl manual and a 95 4.0 AX15 combo...

are all these axles bolt in? and do you know where there is a chart that i can look up the ratios in each XJ?

thanks...kosta

No chart. For the 4.0L XJs it's easy -- 5-speeds are all 3.07, automatics are all 3.55 (or were from the factory). Later 4-cyl are (were) all 4.10.

In the early years, with the 2.8L V-6 and the 4-cyl, gear ratio could be 3.31, 3.55, 3.73 or 4.10. No chart will tell you what was used with what. Find a tag on the diff, or open the cover and count teeth.

right on...thanks man...that was the responce i was wanting to hear!

what about the axles...

do you know if the 85 axles (i am hoping they are 410, the xj is in indy and i am in philly, so i will have to have a buddy check for me) will bolt into the 88???

All year axles will bolt into all year XJs. The Dana 44 and Chrysler 8.25 have a longer pinion than the Dana 35 and therefore take a correspondingly shorter drive shaft. In the front, many of the manual transmissions in the early years had a vacuum disconnect on the front axle -- the automatics with Selec-Trac did not. The axles interchange, but swapping a disconnect for a non-disconnect means finding a way to actuate the shift motor, and going the other way means blocking off some vacuum ports.

Fronts are all high pinion Dana 30s until 2000, when they started using the same low pinion Dana 30 they use in the TJWrangler.

I yanked a set of 4.10 gears axles from a '87 4cyl XJ and threw them in my '90 which had 3.07's. It wa a direct bolt-in there were only a couple change in the brake system. Just take a close look at everything before the swap so you're not looking for new brake calipers on a Sunday aftenoon when all the parts stores are closed. ;)

I bet you thought you had a new Jeep changing from 3.07 to 4.10! Is there any real strength issue to look at if swapping to a vac disconnect Dana 30? I hated the 44 disconnect in my 86 Dodge, swapped in the front from my wrecked 81 with hubs and it is still going strong on 35's, starting to look a little u-shaped though.
Would there be any real advantage to swapping in a vac front axle? Rigging up a switch to shift the locking collar would be simple enough. Just wondering, as usual.

sweet.........

so to clear up a few things...

1) it would seem that the manuals would have the 3.55 and the autos would be 3.07....since you have the gain with the torque converter i thought they put the numerically higher numbered gears with the manuals?

2) i heard that the fronts in the very early XJ (my 85) were low pinion?

3) if it is vacuum, can you just use shafts out of a non-vacuum and then put a cover on the hole in the axle...seems like i had a buddy do this on his YJ...

thanks again guys...kosta

sorry for the partial newb questions...dont know much about XJs or the stock axles....look at my YJ in the links below...i can help with most YJ questions, but i guess i am at the wrong place for those...see ya dudes!

TheGirlfriendYJ, Idon't think that you can swap a 1 piece axle into a disconnect housing. I believe the seals wouldn't do the job, but I may be wrong.
Nice YJ, lots of hard work I'm sure. Where did you get the hp 60 from? Is it out of a late 70's Ford 3/4 ton or built for you by a shop? Looks sweet!

right on...thanks man...

as for the HP60, i got it out of a junkyard from a 78 f350...did all the work...took tons of time...but it is done finally and is awesome! the high steer and tierod running behind the axle is awesome too!!! looking at putting XJ springs on the rear so i can move my rear axle back 6.5"! should be fun...

TheGirlfriendYJ said:
sweet.........

so to clear up a few things...

1) it would seem that the manuals would have the 3.55 and the autos would be 3.07....since you have the gain with the torque converter i thought they put the numerically higher numbered gears with the manuals?

No misprint on my part. The 5-speeds are 3.07, the automatics are 3.55.

2) i heard that the fronts in the very early XJ (my 85) were low pinion?

Dunno. I never heard that before, and I don't have one that old to check. Do a visual -- if the pinion axis is above the axle centerline, it's high pinion.

3) if it is vacuum, can you just use shafts out of a non-vacuum and then put a cover on the hole in the axle...seems like i had a buddy do this on his YJ...

As someone else posted, there are seal issues to be addressed. You have to remove a seal at the shift motor, and find a special seal for the inner (diff) end of the 1-piece shaft. A long time ago someone posted that hey had found a seal that will work (I think it was a special seal from Warn), but I don't remember who it was and I don't have a part number.

I have a friend who has a high pinion out of an XJ in his TJ. He just used the axles out of his TJ front end and we made a plate to cover the vac. disco hole. I don't remember him changing any seals. I could be wrong, but the front end is still going strong after a year. The next time I see him I will ask him about the seal thing, but I am pretty sure he didn't make any changes other than the axles and the block off plate.

JJ13 said:
I have a friend who has a high pinion out of an XJ in his TJ. He just used the axles out of his TJ front end and we made a plate to cover the vac. disco hole. I don't remember him changing any seals. I could be wrong, but the front end is still going strong after a year. The next time I see him I will ask him about the seal thing, but I am pretty sure he didn't make any changes other than the axles and the block off plate.

sweet...thanks for the info!

Eagle said:
No misprint on my part. The 5-speeds are 3.07, the automatics are 3.55.

not doubting you...just seems odd that they would do that??

Eagle said:
Dunno. I never heard that before, and I don't have one that old to check. Do a visual -- if the pinion axis is above the axle centerline, it's high pinion.
i cant do a visual...as stated before the jeep is in indy, and i am in philly...oh well...guess it will wait until i get home....but i can be safe to assume the axle will be a bolt in

thanks for your knowledge bro!!

I've seen several 84-86 XJ's and all I have seen are HP. That does not mean they all are. Just what I have seen.

Back