• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I just installed my Stillen rotors and now the Jeeps stuck... HELP!

"Wolz"

NAXJA Forum User
Yep, just installed the rotors and pads. Button everything up and its not going anywhere. Front wheels are solid. I looked it over and it appears that the rotor is awful close to the backing plate. Before I throw the old worn out rotors and pads back on does anyone have any ideas??? TIA

Wolz said:
Yep, just installed the rotors and pads. Button everything up and its not going anywhere. Front wheels are solid. I looked it over and it appears that the rotor is awful close to the backing plate. Before I throw the old worn out rotors and pads back on does anyone have any ideas??? TIA
Something about the caliper being locked to the rotor if I remember right. Hopefully someone will chime in here........... :repair:

Yep the e-brake is off

So your saying that you have heard off this?? Do you remember if Stillen rotors had anything to do with it or just replacement rotors in general?? TIA

Wolz said:
Yep the e-brake is off

So your saying that you have heard off this?? Do you remember if Stillen rotors had anything to do with it or just replacement rotors in general?? TIA

Yeah, it was just a OE type replacement. But it was over a year ago and the thread was on JU, i'll never find it............. :rattle:

Are you SURE you got the rotors for an '01?
If the rotors are for an earlier year XJ, the offset is different and the rotors press against the rear pads.
The rotors, calipers, and unit bearings have to be from the same year or very close to it.
If you loosen the lugnuts and the wheels turn, that's the problem.
HTH

Yep the 'hat' depth is different from the stock rotors. I searched autoparts stores online and found that there is a composite rotor w/ 3 3/16" height and a cast rotor w/ 3 1/16 height. I guess my 2001 XJ has the cast and the Stillen rotors are for the composite rotored XJ's. I'm glad Kevin at Kevinsoffroadparts asked before he had the set sent to me. What sucks is I put a towel over the MC opening to soak up the extra fluid. My pads were gone and during the piston compressing alot came out. I unfortunately don't have any fluid to replace the amount needed if I were to put the old pads on.

yeah yeah... I have brakeklean!! We had the calipers off during the front locker install and we had to top off the MC when we bled the brakes after the new lines where put on. I figured hell this "brake-job" should take 30 min. "I won't need any more fluid, I'll have too much".

pabloconrad said:
Just to ask, did you bleed the rotors and expand them before putting them on?

how does one bleed rotors?

I think you got this figured out. But I went through it also. The simple fix is to remember is the 01 (and I think the 00) XJ have the TJ front end. It's exactly the same. Had the same issue with the front pinion depth also. I ordered parts for an XJ and got parts for an XJ, which didn't fit. Up till I swapped in the front 44, I just started asking for 00tj parts and never missed a beat.

Back