• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Faint tapping sound when cold

90Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 96 4.0 with 70k miles. When the engine is cold, and the window is down, you can hear a very faint tapping sound. Would this be piston slap? It goes away once it's been at operating temp for a little bit.

What can I do to cure it? It's pretty cold here in the winter, and awful hot in the summer, so I run Amsoil 5w40. I don't really want to switch to a heavier weight oil, but if this would be the cure I'll do it.

Any suggestions?

It might be your lifters tapping...I got used to mine a long time ago.

FWIW, try a little Seafoam in the oil right before an oil change. It sometimes helps. Heavier weight oil also helps...

I just recently switched to semi-syn and noticed that the noise is louder. :dunno:

If I remember correctly the owners manual talks about spark knock being normal under cold runs or extremely heavy loads. I'll have to go look it up again later.

Tapping is normal with higher mileage 4.0L engines, and sometimes with not so higher mileage ones too. I'm told it's the nature of the beast. I had people thinking my old '90 was a diesel.

that noise is like pain- as long as you feel it, your alive.
worry about it when it stops....(running)

the valvetrain make all kinds of racket- its in inline 6, all the junks on top, no way to deaden it. Enjoy it.

Back