• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Theft protection

Hickey

NAXJA Forum User
Now that I have my $700 XJ, I constantly worry about someone taking my sweet ride.

Pep boys used to carry a metal collar that covered the steering column so the dirtbags could not access the keyswitch gear by breaking the plastic on the left side of the column. Does anyone on here have one of those? Or something similar?

Hickey said:
Pep boys used to carry a metal collar that covered the steering column so the dirtbags could not access the keyswitch gear by breaking the plastic on the left side of the column. Does anyone on here have one of those? Or something similar?

Here's a suggestion: the Autolok Protector, which also does a great job when not in use as a beatdown implement. They do have a US distributor, but I don't seem to be able to track them down right now. Might want to shoot them an email and find out how to get one; I used them for years in Europe and think they're a huge improvement over things like the Club, Disc, etc.

PM Tlange he has exactly that on his xj -

I used to worry about theft a lot when I parked over night on campus after someone tried to break into my jeep by jamming a screw driver into the door lock, and then decided to steal my marker lenses. :mad: If I stay parked for a while I take the plug wire from the coil with me or unplug the CPS. I doubt a thief is going to take the time to trouble shoot the problem.

There was also a thread on here recently about a fuel pump kill switch... that is something to look into...

-Ranger

I use two kill switches; one for the starter motor and another for the run (ignition) position. There are plenty of easily accesible but hard to find places to hide them.

I usually cut the paddle of the toggle switch down to barely a nub, if somones wants to feel around for it in an area that it can't be seen from anyangle, they lose.

Make sure you use two switches and try to hide them far apart.

Email me for a great location, a good one too if you park outside and want to mount a small garage door opener in the cabin instead of keeping the thing on your keychain. I don't know how I thought of it, a rare moment of intelligence, I suppose :dunce:

The overhead console in my '98 has a little door that you velcro the opener in, it justs screams "here I am". Good idea, bad execution.

[email protected]

Mike #300

A kill switch is an easy mod, but you will still end up with a hacked column. I want something that is a liitle more obvious to theives. I know you could still get by the collar if you really wanted to, but my Jeep is kinda nasty, so I don't see a theif wanting to spend much time/risk trying to steal it. I just want to prevent joyriders. My Dad's Jeep was stolen three times. Got it back every time, but had to buy a new column $$$.

You need to get a custom Grant steering wheel. They've got a quick disconnect for it so that you can take it with you. Kinda like taking the front tire off youre bike. "if you cann't drive it you cann't steal it"

I forget the name, but there's a product out there that is kind of like "the club" but goes under the brake pedal (or brake and clutch) and expands to push it (them) up while the base is pushed to the floor.

I had one when I lived in Brooklyn in the early 90s. That, plus a Club, plus an alarm, plus a hood lock, plus starter kill, plus parking it where I could see it from my 5th floor apartment kept it safe (it being the Nissan I drove at the time, high theft type car, only one good attempt to steal it, damaged window, and if they really wanted it, they'd have snatched it)

Re: Theft protection... very long...

When I worked as a mechanic's helper for my best friend, he arrived to work late because one of those English pieces of carp's (mg, no flames, please) gearshift lever broke off, and he used a medium size pair of vice-grips to shift his way to work. :lecture:

That's when we took an early coffee break and among other things discussed the subject of theft-protection. We talked about everything from obvious fake kill switches to ones hidden beneath the seat, mounted behind carefully hidden epoxy embedded razor blades to slice up the micreant before he knew what happened. Mind you, this was twenty years ago before lawsuits were the norm. :mad: :skull1:

My friend (God rest his wonderful Soul) then demonstrated how easy it would be to steer a car with one, preferably two large vice grips, and then demonstrated that it could be accomplished VERY easily.

We talked about automatic door locks that imprisoned the dumbag and then blast the stereo, knowing it would be difficult to used ones' hands when they were covering ones' ears. Locks were the next topic. A brake/clutch/gas pedal made sense, but too much of a pain in the butt to use on a day to day basis. This went on through lunch. It was great working for your best friend while the owner, his dad, was in Fl., as usual.

Tell you what evolved from conversation - circa 1980 - that made sense and didn't tick off the neighbors. One, mount a siren(s) inside the cabin to blow the guys' ears out (no one pays attention to sirens anyway). What I did was go to Radio Hack and bought some very small 106db Piezo sirens and mounted a couple ear level deep in the heating vents, if there not disarmed with a certain amount of time, they would blast you into next year, whether you have sensitive high pitch canine hearing or not. It is IMPOSSIBLE to use your hands while covering your ears, THEY WORK. I’ll post some photos a little later when I fully wake up.

My dash is apart now because I’m installing a remote starter, and now have an idea to buy one of those HD Master u-locks, the kind with the six or eight inch shank, and somehow mate it into the frame/stronger metal up front, with the other half keeping the shifter lever in park, in conjunction with the piezo’s. I think this may take some metal fabrication, but that’ FUN! :lock: :dunce:

A little sticker explaining to the creep that one of those miniature cameras that are all the rage is screen testing him can’t hurt either. These measures may sound extreme, but we all put our sweat, blood, money, and most importantly our ingenuity into our xj’s. I’ve saved so much time and money from the creativity of you guys, that I feel dumb half the time for not thinking of your ideas first. But then again, I always feel dumb…Thanks…:dunce:

Remember, it’s not just about keeping your xj; it’s also about conveying the creep that you outsmarted him and he should have learned a real, honest trade…

But I’ve digressed too much. Intelligently hidden, redundant kill switches, plus maybe some homemade column reinforcement, AND the piezos, should be fine…

Stay Vertical

Mike #300

dude, that rockin' 8 track CB is theft deterrent enough.......oops, forgot where you live :laugh3:

wescam said:
I forget the name, but there's a product out there that is kind of like "the club" but goes under the brake pedal (or brake and clutch) and expands to push it (them) up while the base is pushed to the floor.

I had one when I lived in Brooklyn in the early 90s. That, plus a Club, plus an alarm, plus a hood lock, plus starter kill, plus parking it where I could see it from my 5th floor apartment kept it safe (it being the Nissan I drove at the time, high theft type car, only one good attempt to steal it, damaged window, and if they really wanted it, they'd have snatched it)
Autolock. it seems solid and annoying.

casm said:
Here's a suggestion: the Autolok Protector, which also does a great job when not in use as a beatdown implement. They do have a US distributor, but I don't seem to be able to track them down right now. Might want to shoot them an email and find out how to get one; I used them for years in Europe and think they're a huge improvement over things like the Club, Disc, etc.

i can easily get around one of those..

piezos' in drivers' side vent...

http://community.webshots.com/album/280342593RzzUrB

You gotta be creative, one step ahead of these misfits. The first photo show where vone of the sirens lives behind the driver's side vent. The others show the size.

They come with a bracket that is easily removed.

Mike #300

Back