• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

connecting front axels

ogg

NAXJA Forum User
hi all...how is everyone
got a question for yas.....
i'm wondering if it is safe to connect the front axels with the sleve that the vac motor assembly normally does and leave it connected all the time so it eliminates the vacume all togeather(reason bieng im having trobles with the vac assemblly)so when i shift the 4x4 lever into 4 wheel drive the sleve is already connected thus no more worries bout vacume...i m just wondering becouse it seems to easy a thing to do and why wouldnt jeep have thought of it first...i just dont want to mess up my front diff if it isnt supposed to be connected unless in 4 wheel drive
well any input would be appercieated seeing as i no nothing about the differential gears and how they work.
oh yah....im driving a 91 xj sport
np 231 5 speed manual tranny...ax style i believe????
thanks
ogg

LOL Jeep did think about this... Right about the time the vacuum disconnect issues kept newly MOPAR/Jeep dealers busy & customers ill, it went away in 1992-3?. Before that time, XJs with the 231/207 got the vac-disco, and the 242/229? 'fulltime 4WD' got a 1-pc. RHS inner shaft.

IF the shift fork is in good condition, one can 'shim' it into place with washers. I had poor luck trying to keep mine functional, broke two of the ($35 IIRC) aluminum forks in less than a year...converted mine to 1 pc with the seal inside at the diff.

Others I know have had great luck with theirs and can use it to get 3WD or 4WD from their locked 30... But I won't ever have an axle disconnect on an XJ D30 ever again.

The biggest 'drawback' is that the front shaft will spin all the time (just like the zillion or so 92+ XJs, YJs, ZJs, WJs, & TJs without vac-disco or locking hubs) so it may point up front driveline vibrations that were previously masked by the disconnection.

Back