• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Roof Racks

jeepcherokee95

NAXJA Forum User
I want to build my own roof rack but I have no idea on where to get the custom mounting hardware (or is the stock stuff good enough?).

Basically I have seen some nice stuff on the forum and I have thought "I can do that!" Just need some direction for the mounting hardware.

Thanks.

JC95

Im sure you could go to any company that makes roof racks and buy thier mounting hardwear and it should work fine. Yakima, Thule, Surco, etc.

I used kargomaster that fit into the factory roof rack rails. They make a gutter mount style, too. Nice stainless hardware, nylon lock nuts, etc. Pretty easy to make yourself, if you have the specs. Just flat plates bent a little for height.

I am in the process of building my own rack and have built my own mounts along with it. I can try to take a couple of photos later on if you want but all it is is some 1.5" steel strap that sits in the gutter and I drilled a couple holes thru it and welded a couple nuts on the back side of the holes so I can use an L shaped bracket to bolt thru and grab the bottom side of the gutter. All in all I spent no more than $8 for the mounts. I figured that if I'm going to take the time to build a rack myself I might as well build the mounts too and I think they'll work well when I'm done.

I did what GroversXJ did one my most recent one, but on the one before that (ya I have built a few) I used yakima gutter mounts. Both were easy to use but the yakima ones were bulky and grabbed trees. The ones I build are sleek and don't grab trees.

I'll put pics up later, but I used Yakima 1A mounts, 4 per side. My rack measures 74"x55"x3" and is made from .75" square tubing, .065 wall with expanded metal flooring.

Fergie

lift1.jpg

Last edited:
jjmat3 said:
Why not just make mounts that bolt into the factory rail mounting points?

Thats what I did for my first rack, and it held it on just fine but I had heard that the factory mount rails on the older cherokees were just plastic nutzerts and I wanted to have something that was a little more sturdy than that holding my rack and spare on the roof in the case of an accident and the jeep stopped really quickly. I admit there was significantly less thought went into the first rack's mounting system but I think I'll like these new ones better. I also made the new mounts so that my rack sits .25-.5" off the roof to reduce the drag on the vehicle.

I havn't made it out to the shed tonight to take pictures of it as its raining pretty good still but I'll try to get a photo of it up tomorrow.

Back