• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

will i need a sye or new dshaft?

XJ4Roks

NAXJA Forum User
i did some searching and couldnt find anything on a 3" lift.im putting a 3" lift on my '89 , i swapped tcases last month and from what i could tell the 231 is shorter then the 242 maybe im trippin. will the 3" cause me problems with the driveshaft length? this thing will be used on rocks mainly so it will be getting flexed as much as possible. what other problems might i come across with the 3" installed besides that? like i said i did alot of searching and theres nothing to in depth about problems with 3" lift and such.please help a newbie!!

thanks!
Sean

My limited experience has taught me that each and every vehicle is different. Your question can't be answered matter of factly. 50% will say you need a SYE and CV shaft and the rest will say no. While the earlier models (pre 96 I believe) are less prone to vibes, that doesn't make them impervious to them. If it were me, I would certainly expect problems to arise when installing the lift. I would budget for the SYE and CV shaft. Some need em, some don't. Some need shims, some don't.
I can't comment on whether the 231 is shorter than the 242. I'd bet it's irrelevant though. Other issues that might rear their ugly heads are probably not specific to just 3" lift. Soak all bolts you even think you will look at with PB Blaster. Use a torch on questionable nuts/bolts. Take your time. Be careful with the rear upper shock mounts...they suck. Watch the rear brake hydraulic line and the e-brake cables...they'll be tight so fix em. That's about it. I found it wasn't too big a deal. I had never lifted a vehicle but I've gone the opposite direction on plenty of Audi's. Good luck.

thanks for the input...whast teh cheap route to go with the brake lines?...im gonna do somemore searchin and stuff. but ive read that stock yj lines work for the front? what about the rears? and bump stops? will i need longer ones?...im not really sure if i want to "limit" flex...anything helps..back to searching,lol.

thanks again!
Sean

I did a 3" Skyjacker lift on my '89 xj....only minor vibes that were cured with a TC drop. I'm saving for the SYE and CV. I have the 242...don't plan to change.

I got extended brake likes from QuadraTec...not too much $$...and an easy (and necessary) install.

For flex...get front dicso's....I love to wheel with the front disconnected. I'm running 31's now...eventually will go to 33's (but that will probably take some sheet metal trimming).

Back