• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Custom or home brew gas tank

sweetjeep

NAXJA Forum User
Hey folks, I need a new gas tank.

No, a fuel cell is not so much an option.

I need a new gas tank but I want to use the factory fuel pump for a few reasons, mainly cost and future replaceability.

a) I either need to create my own plastic tank which I am willing to do, I have researched the plastics and it's not a huge problem. The caveat is how do I seal the pump to the tank? I have no clue on how I would make the threaded part where "the pump is screwed to the tank". Are these threads standard? Or just standard to ChryCo.

b) I can use an old metal tank, but I am using the new style pump. How can I seal the pump to a metal tank?

Any thoughts on a totally custom tank?

Thanks,
Morgan

Um.....
The price of an external pump isn't much more then the stock one and just as easy to get ahold of....

May I ask why a fuel cell is not an option?

XJRubicon said:
Um.....
The price of an external pump isn't much more then the stock one and just as easy to get ahold of....

May I ask why a fuel cell is not an option?

I am looking for a laaaaaarge tank (30-40 gal is my goal), so the fit has to be somewhat custom to the truck. I have yet to see a fuel cell that, not made for a custom application, isn't square/round/a basic geometric shape.

I was trying to keep the whole system as factory as possible and I already have several stock pumps. Plus if I sell it in the future I would like a replacement to be easily accessable to the buyer.

Plus I am trying to keep excess cost to a minimum by using what I have available.

i dont think there would be room for a tank twice the size under a jeep

if you are desperate you could just modify a 55 gallon drum and make a reciever adapter

sweetjeep said:
I am looking for a laaaaaarge tank (30-40 gal is my goal), so the fit has to be somewhat custom to the truck. I have yet to see a fuel cell that, not made for a custom application, isn't square/round/a basic geometric shape.

I was trying to keep the whole system as factory as possible and I already have several stock pumps. Plus if I sell it in the future I would like a replacement to be easily accessable to the buyer.

Plus I am trying to keep excess cost to a minimum by using what I have available.

May I ask why you want a 30-40 gallon tank. Aren't there any gas stations where you live?

jeeppowermj said:
May I ask why you want a 30-40 gallon tank. Aren't there any gas stations where you live?

I'd also like a tank that size. Over here in Australia you can easily travel 1000km (600 miles) with no gas stations in remote areas. You dont even have to go that remote to not have fuel for 600km (360 miles). Every long trip I do I carry spare fuel just in case. In some areas you can organise fuel drops, a truck will leave fuel for you, this saves carrying it all with you as it can be physically impossible to make a trip otherwise.

We can get long range tanks over here for the XJ but they are only 124lt (standard is 76lt) and they reduce ground clearance quite a lot in the rear.

Cheers
Steve

my 1993 Astro van has aproximately a 27 gallon tank. If you go to www.gojeep.com he has a write up on how to to hold aproximately 4-5 additional gallons. "IF" I SAY IF you could do this to an astro van tank and you could fit that between the frame rails you could maybe get 34 gallions in that easily available stock tank. Still not enough?

Run a stock tank and an auxillary custom fuell cell of what ever size you can fit. I would probably keep the stock tank, mod it to gojeep specs, get an second tank, and carry a few jerry cans.

I can measure the astro van tank if you think this has any chance of helping you.

Stock tanks are unlikely to help me.

I am putting this tank in my Cheromanche. http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42962&highlight=cheromanche

So I have plenty of space for the tank.

Why? Because 1) I will be using it to pull a trailer and haul dirtbikes etc. Not exactly fuel friendly adventures.

2) Yes, sometimes on these adventures, fuel can be a bit of an issue.

3) I have to make/modify a tank anyway, I have yet to find a really good way around it, so if I am going to do it.. I am going to really do it!

4) I hate stopping for gas. It's a pain, when I travel from Mass to Maryland or somewhere to race I have to stop 2-3 times for gas. It'd be real nice to make it in one fell swoop. And like I said, I have minimal current options, so if I am going to make a tank, it's going to be huge.

Back