• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thoughts on Rebuilding Options

BSD

NAXJA Forum User
I am getting my engine rebuilt on my 89 XJ 4.0. In looking at the different options, some places put in new valves, springs and seats, while most just do a valve job. Naturally, the former cost more money. My question, would you all be satisfied with just a valve job or would you feel the need to put in new valves, springs and so on?

On a related note, one shop trumpets itself as "QS9000" certified. Does this mean much to you gear heads?
BSD

What is QS9000 / TS16949?
QS9000 is the American Auto Industry Quality System Standard that embraces ISO9000 with emphasis on customer satisfaction and the foundation for an exceptional line of products. TS16949 is the new technical standard that is gaining acceptance as the worldwide replacement for QS9000

it's a good thing, i guess :D

when i was building up my stroker, i had the head rebuilt and they simply hot-tanked it, installed new springs and stem seals (that i provided), and machined the valves/seats and mating surface. cost was in the $200 range and i haven't had any problems at all.

I'm also rebuilding an 89 non-HO engine. Either one will work, it's a function of how much you want to spend and how long you plan to run this engine. Are you doing everything else first class or on the cheap?

I was just going to have a valve job done on mine for $90, but when they checked the head it was cracked. So, it's always good to have them checked at the very least. I was forced to buy another used head.

The engine I'm building is just to keep the XJ going while I build my stroker. I plan to use a 91 to 95 head on the stroker and won't mind spending the money for a completely rebuilt head at that time.

BSD said:
I am getting my engine rebuilt on my 89 XJ 4.0. In looking at the different options, some places put in new valves, springs and seats, while most just do a valve job. Naturally, the former cost more money. My question, would you all be satisfied with just a valve job or would you feel the need to put in new valves, springs and so on?

On a related note, one shop trumpets itself as "QS9000" certified. Does this mean much to you gear heads?
BSD

It means they sweep their floors, dust everything, throw the empty pizza boxes in the trash, fill out the required paperwork and pay the appropriate fee for the privilidge of having the sign out there. Everytime some thing new comes out somebody figures out an angle on how to make a buck off certifications....it's a big business now because so many people have bought or been bribed into it. Novell started it and microsoft saw the income stream and followed right along.
As far as getting the valves springs and such replaced I would go with new springs and retainers and personally I would go with new valves but thats dependent on what and how bad the old ones look. Look at the bigger pic, how much would it cost if the head has to come back off in 3 months be repaired and then put back on. Save a couple of bucks now only to spend more later...your choice..

If this is the first work on the head, there's no reason to replace any valves unless they're burned, or the faces are so pitted that the shop has to grind off too much material to get a smooth surface. You should have new valve guides installed, and definiately use new springs. Not strictly necessary, but even for a street engine I would go with Mopar Performance valve springs with the inner spring to dampen vibration.

As long as the valve stems aren't tapered and they qualify as Eagle suggests, I see no need to replace.

Back