• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need Waggy 44 axle width help

Powerman

NAXJA Forum User
So if you didn't know I picked up a Waggy 44 front and a 94 Isuzu Rodeo 44 rear. I did measure at the yard. Didn't think the Waggy was as wide, or the Isuzu as narrow. The Waggy is from a 80 w/ manual hubs and is 65". the Iz is 58 1/2". So what to do. I could get 2" for the rear with spacers. 98+ Rodeos have 62-64" rears. I thought about cutting down the Waggy to a "narrow track". So hear is my question. should I keep the Waggy at 65. Why is it so wide? I thought they were 62". I looked for axle shaft lengths for Waggys. The inners I found for 80's are 15.8R-32.12L, and for 74-79(which is supposed to be narrow track) is 14.69R-33.19L. That adds up to the same length? I don't get it. When people always say they cut an axle down to Waggy length, what is it. Could I just use a Ford Bronco pass side shaft? It is only 28". I better stop. That is alot of questions. Any feedback is most apriciated.

weird... i was pretty sure they were all around 61-62"...

what is so wrong with running 6.5 inches wider up front? I know it's not commone and may look funny, but you may like it. I like being 3 inches wider up front, it's nice when going around stuff. If you don't like it you can just add some spacers.

narrowing the front isn't hard at all, since you'll want to cut and turn the knuckles anyway. but you would need new shafts, maybe a good opportunity to get alloys.

Dirt Surfer said:
So if you didn't know I picked up a Waggy 44 front and a 94 Isuzu Rodeo 44 rear. I did measure at the yard. Didn't think the Waggy was as wide, or the Isuzu as narrow. The Waggy is from a 80 w/ manual hubs and is 65". the Iz is 58 1/2". So what to do. I could get 2" for the rear with spacers. 98+ Rodeos have 62-64" rears. I thought about cutting down the Waggy to a "narrow track". So hear is my question. should I keep the Waggy at 65. Why is it so wide? I thought they were 62". I looked for axle shaft lengths for Waggys. The inners I found for 80's are 15.8R-32.12L, and for 74-79(which is supposed to be narrow track) is 14.69R-33.19L. That adds up to the same length? I don't get it. When people always say they cut an axle down to Waggy length, what is it. Could I just use a Ford Bronco pass side shaft? It is only 28". I better stop. That is alot of questions. Any feedback is most apriciated.
I've never heard of a Waggy axle being that wide.
I cut mine down to "Waggy-length" because the housing was from an F-150 and WAS longer than the waggy shafts I wanted to use. Mine came out about 61" wide.

I could never get a good WMS-WMS on a wide track. Now that I've found one I've seen a couple of sites that list 60" and 65". I didn't believe it and have measured several times. It hasn't changed. It would be easier to shorten the axle. Just cut the knuckle off instead of grinding away the weld, but not sure what shafts to use. If I add spacers to the rear I could get it to 61". That would only be 2" diff on both sides.

He must have gotten the axle out of a Cherokee Chief. These came with wider fender flares, and wider axles to match. Was the donor vehicle a two or four door????

Dan

I didn't look the vehicle over well. We have a lot of Waggys here. They get striped quick. That's why I grabed it. The only fronts left are vacume disco. It just had the writting on the side from the yard, 80 Waggy. I can't remember if it was a 2 or 4 door. It's like others I've seen though with the spring pad cast in the diff. I'm at work. Will measure the shaft lengths tonight. Does anyone have a measurement from inside inner knuckle to inside inner knuckle that I could compare to? From a Waggy or a Ford hp44.

fatwreck said:
Just to let you know.....the 65" width isn't that bad on an XJ.

Mine is 62.5" WMS with the 5x5.5 conversion and I just put some wheel spacers on to match the rear. I'm happy with it.

Brian
www.projectxj.com

I am running 64" WMS I agree it is not that bad I like it.

Also Chevy 4x4 trucks came with wider fronts than the rear from the factory to help the turning radius.

Okay, so enlighten me. 64-65, that's only 2" or so on each side. No big deal. Stock wheels have very little back space. So if I get new wheels, with more backspace so the hubs are not "curb feeler", now you are talking 4-5 inches per side. Is that where you are at when you say it isn't that bad. I know there are laws, I know people want to run stock Waggy shafts, some people use full width 68's. I'm not asking for anyone to make up my mind, but what kind of ball park are we talking here? What is a good figure from stock? Less back space, less clearance for outters/brakes and hubs stick out. More backspace, wider stance. Wider stance, more stability, but less clearance on the trail. What is a good ball park figure for total width? Also, thanks a lot everyone!

Dirt Surfer said:
Stock wheels have very little back space. So if I get new wheels, with more backspace so the hubs are not "curb feeler", now you are talking 4-5 inches per side.

um - stock wheels have 5.25" BS IIRC - and more backspace would make your hubs more of a cub feeler - though i dont know of any curb that is tall enough to feel my hubs...

here is a nifty chart from Yucca-Man's page to help you out.
Numericaly higher backspace sucks the wheels in closer together....

backspace.jpg

its out of the cherokee chief, that is the axle I just put on mine. 65in isnt to bad. I have 15x8 rims with 4in of backspacing and the roller tires that are on there are 12.5in wide. The tires are about 9.5 in outside the fenders, I dont have flares though...

Well I'm not going crazy. My shafts are 34.25 and 17.75. That is 4 inches more than waggy shafts.
Now I'm not so sure what to do with the axle. The outters were in good shape. I could sell the axle. Get a Ford HP, cut it and get waggy shafts. It's what I will have to do with this one. I don't know about running full width, especially with a 59" rear. any ideas?

Back