• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heat shielding

steve-o

NAXJA Forum User
I was reading a post the other day about how the newer XJs have a heat shield over the muffler and cat to help with the heat. Has anyone used this material to make a heat shield for their intake?

Do a search for header wrap or isulating. No I'm not being a smart alec. I thought about this too. The concerns mentioned are water/rust. I think Dyno Dino raves about insulating the intake. I am going to do this. I have aluminized fiber fabric and some fiberglass wool. I'm going to put some between my header and intake. I have some wire mesh to lay over the header to keep it from laying on the header. I'm also going to do a loose wrap of my header. Not each tube, just a wrap around blanket deal. I would think there needs to be something keeping it off the header so moisture couldn't sit and rust. Oh ya, back to your question. I know the heat shields can take some heat, but I don't know. I think that stuff is for reflection. I don't know if it can stand being right next to the header. The stuff I'm using can withstand a torch. I tried!!! The best thing to do is subject it to serious heat before you do it. It would suck for your engine compartment to go up in flames.

I just looked at my heat shield. It is pressed aluminum. I thought they were some sort of blaket, but they are just aluminum reflectors. I don't know if this would work, but I guess it could. I'm sorry if you already knew this.

Back