• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE Superflex joints

johnnyc

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
The SF joints in my uppers started making a lot of noise. After doing a search, I realized that there are SUPPOSED to be zerk fittings. I then verified this by looking at a friend's new UCAs still in the box. Mine didn't come with any zerk fittings. So I bought some zerks and put them in.

Now...when I tried to put grease through the zerks, they wouldn't take any. It seems like something is blocking the opening in the joint. I was only able to get some grease in the joints from the sides while swiveling the joint.

Questions - 1) Do the RE SF joints come pregreased from the factory?; 2) How often should they be greased?; 3) How hard are the SF joints to rebuild? I've ordered the special tool and a couple of pair of new races. And I know about the small allen screws.; 4) Has anyone had trouble getting grease into the joints?

TIA

When you rebuild them pregrease them a tad and then assemble them, you have to press the gun on the fitting real hard to get the grease to go in and you will want to cycle the joints some when you do, once you open one up to rebuild it, you will realize why they are so hard to get the grease into

Fullsizexj said:
When you rebuild them pregrease them a tad and then assemble them, you have to press the gun on the fitting real hard to get the grease to go in and you will want to cycle the joints some when you do, once you open one up to rebuild it, you will realize why they are so hard to get the grease into

Thanks Richard.

Don't you need to change your "location"? :)

xjohnnyc said:
I realized that there are SUPPOSED to be zerk fittings.

Why weren't there zerks to begin with? Have we heard of this happening before??

Wolz said:
Why weren't there zerks to begin with? Have we heard of this happening before??
RE doesn't ship the CAs with the zerks installed. My buddy has the zerks in a plastic bag with the hardware.

I didn't even think about it when I installed them. No instructions from RE. And what the hell do I know?!? :dunce:

Now im not pokin fun or anything, but did you put the zerk in the right hole. Sometimes with the RE stuff the allen set screw on the outer part of the joint is missing... The zerk goes in the middle...

Yeah, I think I put it in the right hole. :laugh3:

Actually, both of the allen screws are still there, so I'm sure they're in the right place.

Thanks Scott. We gotta set up a time for the SYE install. :D

All of my RE joints were fine except for the hd trackbar. Grease just wouldn't get in through the zerk, and I tried swiveling that joint all I could. Grease leaked out of the gun I was going at it so hard. No luck. I don't have the means to rebuild it right now... damn.

kubtastic said:
Grease leaked out of the gun I was going at it so hard.
Yup...exactly what happened to me.

xjohnnyc said:
Questions - 1) Do the RE SF joints come pregreased from the factory?; 2) How often should they be greased?; 3) How hard are the SF joints to rebuild? I've ordered the special tool and a couple of pair of new races. And I know about the small allen screws.; 4) Has anyone had trouble getting grease into the joints?

TIA

1-Maybe, but installing the zerks and lubing them up prior to install is the best route.....but you already know that now.

2-Frequently, varies with use, climate and preference. I like to give all my chassis zerks a pump of lube about every 3mo or oil change, which ever comes first.

3-Not hard if you have a vice, not sure you need to rebuilt them quite yet. I'd disassemble them and check the races and ball for rust or pitting since they were used for an undisclosed amount of time without lube. If they look good, apply a thin film of grease to the inner part of the races and then re-assemble. With the zerk out so you can peer into the hole, tighten the locking ring until there is 1/64-ish gap between them as viewed through the hole, in other words, almost touching. Then install the zerk and pump full of grease, which will be difficult so use a screwdriver inserted through the ball bolt hole and cycle the ball to distribute the grease throughout the joint. You should get a little grease ooze out of thesides of the joint. If you can't get grease in or it's extremely difficult, or you're just a wuss that can't pump a grease gun.......back the locking ring off one notch until you can grease the joint. Then install the allen set screw to lock ring in place.

4-Uh......see 3.

Good luck and happy lubing.

XJEEPER said:
...or you're just a wuss that can't pump a grease gun...
Finally...a reasonable explanation. :D

Thanks XJEEPER...that's a very good description of the rebuild procedure. I ordered the new races, because I figure if I take the joints apart, it would be handy to have the races on hand, just in case.

mine came without zerk fittings installed, and did not include zerk fittings at all

i found that they were:
Metric 7mm Zerk Fittings
while installing mine...

Back