• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Differences in the overhead console from 87-90 and 91-96?

90Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
What were the changes to the overhead console (and wiring) after the change in '91?

From what I've heard a few times, the console is the same, but the wiring harness is different? What exactly is different about it?

Just hooked up a 96 overhead to my 91 Limited. The only wiring that is different is the keyless entry wiring. Different wiring and different connector. The compass wiring is compatible though.

From what I understand, the later models have mileage etc on them the earlier ones don't.

Got my '91 put into my '90. From what I can tell, consoles from a '91 and '92 are the same as the ones for the '90 and earlier, with the difference I've seen as being the light 'cages' and their switches are different. but the computer is the same, and outwardly they look the same.

Not having keyless entry, I pulled that from the harness as it was just useless and more wiring I just didn't need. I can give you the wire colours on the '91 overhead if you need.

Now, looking at the pics I"ve taken in doing this project, here's what I have, using the large six wire plug that is for hooking up the overhead console.

my 1990 Pioneer: [mine had temp sensor wriing, and plug tucked way up under the dash]
white/black ; black/orange ; orange/green
pink/purple ; blue ; orange/black

the courtesy lighting is simple three wire pink ; black/white ; black.

1991; dash wiring
white/black ; black/green ; black/blue
purple/green ; blue/red ; orange/black
[note. The blue/red actually has two wires on the overhead side, only one on the dash side]

the courtesy lighting is again, pink ; black/white ; black

1989 Laredo:
white/black ; black/orange ; orange/green
pink/purple ; blue ; orange/black

Not having keyless entry, I've not bothered with that at all, but on the '91 I suspect the red connector is for that.

[For a '91 up to ? into a '90 or earlier:

find the courtesy lights, and unplug them [I just cut it, leaving the connector and tail in case I want for future use.] I used the console side connector from the donor vehicle. Look carefully up in behind the dash to see if you have the actual connector needed. Mine had this, and the temp sensor harness. I know not all pioneer's have the temp wired in, as well as not sure about lower models harnesses, so I'll be dealing from my '90 pioneers' point of view, but should be similar for other years from what I can tell.

Here's how I've wired it up so far, not including keyless wiring lookin at it from console >> dash: [type in red I"ve thus far not hooked up, and haven't noticed anything not working, but don't know what they're for, other than it's not for keyless entry]

white/black <<>> white/black
<<>> black/orange
purple/green <<>> orange/green [temp sensor interchangeable]
black/blue <<>> pink/purple [temp sensor interchangeable]
<<>> blue
<<>> orange/black

pink <<>> pink
yellow <<>> black/white
black ; black/green <<>> black

orange/green <<>>
blue/red <<>>

What I suspect from carefully looking at the connectors and how they fit from the two years. [damn, should have done this earlier I guess! DOH! Anyhow,

black/green <<>> black/orange [black/green is the grd for the compass]

blue/red <<>> blue [what do these actually do?]
orange/green <<>>
<<>> orange/black
which would lead me to think that the orange/green connects to the orange/black, but no idea, and again, no idea what they do.

Anyone have any info on those lsat wire groupings? Would be greatly appreciated!.
[Thanks very much to CollinM and Backdraft who both helped with my questions about this isntall]

2 pink wires = power from battery
black wire = ground
black w/green stripe = ground for compass
white w/black stripe = power from ignition/key
yellow = dome light input
black w/blue stripe = temp sensor
purple w/green stripe = temp sensor
blue w/red stripe = lights on input
orange w/black stripe = panel dimmer

I have the FSM pages for the overhead available for download if anyone needs me to send them.

Thanks TroyAndEddie. That helps a lot.

Weather is pretty bad here right now, but as soon as I get another half decent day, going to relook at this. I'm figuring it's as simple as hooking up the last 2 sets of wire, blue to blue/red, which leaves the orange/black to the orange/green.

I guess what confused me about these, is that when I tried to attach them to find out what went to what, seems like nothing happened at all, and wasn't 100% sure, since the wiring colours are a bit differnent.

Uhh...I'm not too confident about the wiring you're wanting to do, I'm worried you might run a hot line to something not supposed to be hot. No fun after that. :) I'll send you the wiring diagram for the overhead now, what's your email?

TroyAndEddie said:
Uhh...I'm not too confident about the wiring you're wanting to do, I'm worried you might run a hot line to something not supposed to be hot. No fun after that. :) I'll send you the wiring diagram for the overhead now, what's your email?

Yeah, wouldn'twant to fry anything with all the work that's gone into my XJ.
PM'd you.

In my post, I put in what I've done thus far with the wire colour differences etc. Guess only the compass ground I did wrong, but it worked ok. I tested it as I do everything on the table using a 12v adapter off of an old set of computer speakers. Works great, but those two wires are the only ones I couldn't figure out.

Back