• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

non-winch xj bumper

holyfield1799

NAXJA Forum User
first off i should probably say hello! brand new here, found this place while on my search for a new bumper. i'm sure you guys can help me with this. i gotta 2000 classic, and the stock bumper has the tell-tale sign of losing to a tree. so basically, i want to get a good bumper, but i don't see myself buying a winch bumper. i saw the thread below about winch bumpers, which was somewhat helpful, but i was hoping to see some input on non-winchers. any help would be great! thanx

welcome to NAXJA im sure this topic has been talked about before, try doin a search on the modified tech forum and see if u get anything. if not u will get replys. i like the arb but there are a lot of winch and winch bumpers out there just give these guys some time to see this thread :)

Id get one with a center mounted reciever - that way if you ever decided to get a winch later - you can use a multimount and have your winch front / rear as needed.
Also the centermounted reciver will be a better tow point (structualy) than a shackle or tow hook.

thats just sometihng that i would look into
-Ranger

That's not my XJ(Though I wish it was,I baught the bumper off him), but the flares are Rustys from what he told me.
There's a 2" reciever hidden behind the license plate.
He's got a few more pics of other XJ bumpers he's done in the Jeeps section on his Images page.

does anyone have any experience with the jcroffroad bumper? or what about the custom 3x4 non-winch bumper? i think i'm gonna go with the ridgid bumper, but i was looking at those too. thanx

I had a JCRoffroad front bumper on my 96 XJ. I never had any problems, but I don't think it was as well put together as my protofab bumper. My neighbor has it on his Montero now and when he was setting it up for the frame mounts he noticed that the welds were not as strong as I'd hoped. If you do go with it, make sure you get the brackets that tie into the unibody they are worth the extra money on any bumper.

I second the idea of getting something with a receiver in it--without a winch that will be helpful in recovery.

thanks for all the input guys, i talked to the owner from Ridgid and i'm going to go with their bumper with the reciever. he was very nice and answered all my questions. too bad i'm gonna have to wait for it since they are backed up into march. that and i will probably take a while to get to maryland from salt lake!

Back