• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

your opinion on gears

Which Gears

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

lisdexic

NAXJA Forum User
I'm enrolled at wsu and I have to drive across the state a few times a year to get home, so I primarily do highway driving Other than that it is mostly short trips in town. I wheel weekly during the summer and occasionally while im at school. Im already running 32's with an auto tranny, and will be upgrading to 33's before summer and I will be regearing at the beginning of summer.

Thanks

You didn't metion what year. 4.88's unless you have the 8.25 rear end then I guess you could live with 4.56's. 4.11's definately not.

You don't really need a poll either. Look through some of the threads. It's hilly enough terrain around there you shouldn't need to ask. :)

456's i am runnig those with 33's aw4 and would think 4.88s would be to deep on the highway, but it would be great offroad. the 4.56s do well to

Ramsey said:
..4.88s would be to deep on the highway...

BS! No matter which OD ratio he has with 33's at 80 it's still below 3K. Crap there isn't even any roads that can be leagally driven at 80 within 50 miles of where he's at.

4.56's might (I wouldn't do it) with 32's, but he already said he's going to 33's.

The only people I have ever seen say that 4.88's were to low hadn't ever ran them.

Edit:

Just read his profile and it says an '88. With the .705 OD definately 4.88. It would be vandal stupid to do otherwise.

Last edited:
just my opinion, i still think 4.56s are borderline justright and a bit deep at highspeeds for my taste.

Ramsey said:
just my opinion, i still think 4.56s are borderline justright and a bit deep at highspeeds for my taste.

do you think 4.10s are better. anyway anything is better gearing then stock

Ramsey said:

But there aren't many mountains in LA and your also running a good 5% lower OD than he is.

On a lifted jeep 2800-2900 cruising is a sweet spot. I've ran a bunch of different combos on gears and tires and by the time the drag and added weight of the tires the 2500-2600 (what mine turned stock) doesn't cut it. Add some hills and it's even worse.

I've got one more for lisdexic. Do you want to be a Coug or kitty? :D

diabloxj said:
do you think 4.10s are better. anyway anything is better gearing then stock
4.10s are the right gear for 31s.

FWIW, 31x10.50s with 3.73 gears are EXACTLY equivalent to stock 3.55 gears and stock tires.

Lincoln said:
On a lifted jeep 2800-2900 cruising is a sweet spot. I've ran a bunch of different combos on gears and tires and by the time the drag and added weight of the tires the 2500-2600 (what mine turned stock) doesn't cut it. Add some hills and it's even worse.
4.56, 32s and AW-4 make for 2750rpm on mine @ 75mph...great combo on the flats and in the hills.

thanks guys. sounds like 4.56's are the right gear for me from what i've collected. I know people who have ran 4.88's like them, but i doubt i'll put more than 33's on my DD.

keep it real

Eagle said:
FWIW, 31x10.50s with 3.73 gears are EXACTLY equivalent to stock 3.55 gears and stock tires.

Useless info, IMO.
When you start talking about 33 and up rubber, the term 'stock' has long since gone out the window.

Lincoln said:
BS! No matter which OD ratio he has with 33's at 80 it's still below 3K. Crap there isn't even any roads that can be leagally driven at 80 within 50 miles of where he's at.

4.56's might (I wouldn't do it) with 32's, but he already said he's going to 33's.

The only people I have ever seen say that 4.88's were to low hadn't ever ran them.

x2.
I have 33" BFG MTs(small 33s) and 4.88s, and at 80 mph, I am just a tick below 3000 rpm.
My POS is a '99, and it can run 80 all week, with the AC on, uphill, both ways, in the snow, with no shoes on.
If you haven't run them, then STFU.

yall make a good point about the terrain, didnt take that into account. yall have mountains, we dont even have hills. highest point is around 500ft. so what do i know

I ran 4.56's with 32's and loved that ratio, then I went to 33's and it was OK with the BFG's but when I put a set of SSR's on I really wished that I had 4.88's.

You'll be fine with either 4.56's or 4.88's. The 4.88's are NOT too low for highway driving with that tire size and overdrive, and you'll kick out of overdrive less often on the slight inclines.

4.88s.

Hey I'm running 31s with 3.07s and a manual transmission, so no one but me is allowed to complain here.

darwin said:
Hey I'm running 31s with 3.07s and a manual transmission, so no one but me is allowed to complain here.

I tried 32's on 3.07 for a while, went through a Tranny with that combo. :D
Now, 35's and 4.56. would have liked to go to 4.88, but looking at tooth contact (d30)from the pinion to the ring, made me a little leary.

Ramsey said:
456's i am runnig those with 33's aw4 and would think 4.88s would be to deep on the highway, but it would be great offroad. the 4.56s do well to
i have 33's with 4.56 cruising at 2500 at 70 with corrected speedo

not enough gear, even on flat land

Back