• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 Cherokee 02 sensors

coderedxj

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know how many 02 sensors my 99 Cherokee with the 4.0L has? I think it only has two, but I've heard as many as 3 or 4. I probably need to replace them, but my 90 xj only had one. Any help would be indeed useful!

You have 2 ,one in the down pipe of the header.The other in the rear of the cat converter.
Wayne

IT will have 2. One before the cat and one after the cat being that it only has 1 bank (straight six) the reason that your 90 only had 1 o2 sensor was because it was not an OBDII equiped vehicle 96+ were switched over to OBDII all over the world and 95 and older are OBDI the OBDII vehicles are more conected with the computer than older cars were they know exactly when each cylinder is firing if it has a missfire (even if the check engine light is off) and they know what the timing is setting at and it can also automatically advance or retard the timing at any time depending on conditions of weather temp or just how you drive they also have fuel trim memory as the 95 and older vehicles do not. the o2 sensors just tell the computer if it is running to rich or to lean and on the newer vehicles it also tells the computer wheather the cat is working properly or not.

hope taht help your cause.

Trent

That is all I needed to know, thanks ya'll. If anyone thinks any differently, please let me know, but what they wrote above sounds correct. Happy Wheelin' ya'll!

Back