• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

swaybar and link size question

cykaaro

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I actually managed to get a swaybar link to replace my broken one on the weekend. now it's caused a new problem I wasn't aware of. It's approx. 2" longer than my original ones.
Whatever I do, I will have to have two of the same obviously, but doesn't it matter which size?? as long as thye are both the same size? To put the replacement longer one in, the swaybar itself will have to move upward slightly obviously. Is this a simple matter of pushing it up into place? or is there more to it?

Sorry if this seems really basic question, but am new to this, so just want to get all my facts straight.
TIA

Stock height? 2" longer will be much too long.

Yes, they both need to be the same length. A sway bar (actually an ANTI-sway bar) is a lateral torsion bar. When the vehicle is on level ground, it wants to have zero stress. If the two links are not the same length, the bar will be pre-loaded and the vehicle will both sit funny and handle strangely.

I wouldn't assume it would be safe what-so-ever, and know that one would have to be replaced. Just never new there were two different sizes at all. Will just have to see if I'm able to pull the right size one off ok.
Guess will have a front sway bar link to sell or do something with now. Ah well. Will hit the wreckers tomorrow morning mayhap and see if I can exchange it for the right size one possibly.

If you look at the sway bar it should be close to horizontal. If it points up it will hit the inside of the fender when you go over bumps. Mine are too long and do that now, it’s really annoying. I guess I’ll have to fix that with a couple more inches of lift :laugh3: Use whatever link makes the sway bar horizontal.

Thanks! Just lucked out this morning, and two more XJ's hit the yard. Was able to get one off, without the head snapping off, so I'm good to go.
Thing now is I have one that's two long and no where to put it. At least it only cost me $10 for it I guess.
Will have to wait until thursday to get at it as no time today at all, nor tomorrow. Got the power mirrors wired up, using a 12v adapter plug. Now to just wire it into the jeep and away I go. No more shit ass manual mirros that are on it now! Lift for meis in the works, but will cost me about $2000 to get it all done and installed [full suspension kit] so have to save my pennies.

Wiley Coyote said:
What kind of lift kit are you getting that costs $2000!!! Or is the installation really that expensive in Canada?

Looking at a 3.5" RE lift. It's basically an entire new suspension system, including shocks, greasable control arms, sway bar disconnects new leaf springs etc. The whole kit costs $1349 complete, $570 to install. [Canadian of course]

cykaaro said:
Looking at a 3.5" RE lift. It's basically an entire new suspension system, including shocks, greasable control arms, sway bar disconnects new leaf springs etc. The whole kit costs $1349 complete, $570 to install. [Canadian of course]

Jesus, mary and the shepards. $1349 for a RE 3.5" lift!!!!!!!!!!!!1 Come to the states and buy.

Yeah, got to remember. so guess you'd be looking about $1000us or something? but that doesn't accurate depict the price. It's the price, plus exchange, plus duty plus tax that get's charged with things from the US which is passed on to the consumer. As well, form some of the RE kits I've seen, this one has more than they do as well, as most I've seen don't included the control arms, and sometimes as well the shocks.

I forgot to take in consideration the exchange rate. $1000 for the kit installed sounds a lot more reasonable. The RE kits have a good reputation for durability. The only thing bad I’ve heard about them is their sway bar disconnects. Not the best design in the world, pay the extra money and have them upgrade it to JKS disconnects. If you have a place to work and some basic hand tools its not that hard to do a lift on an XJ yourself. It will save you a nice chunk of change that you can put towards a new bumper, rails, winch, etc. A buddy put a RE kit on his TJ a while back. It sat higher than expected at first. After a couple of months it settled back down to the advertised height. Its held up pretty good so far, I’m impressed with it.

Would love to be able to do it myself to be honest, but don't really have the room here to do it here, or the tools, and being new to this, would probably screw something up without someone who knew how to do it to work with me. No biggy. It's in the near future, so have to start saving pennies.
I'm actually looking at the warn front bumper to replace my now trashed one......will just wait and see what happens. Have to do a few other things as well though still.

From what I’ve seen the Warn bumpers go for $520 (w/o brush guard) or $620 (w/ brush guard), plus shipping and what ever they will charge you for import tax. For that kind of money you can buy a good MIG or wire feed welder, all the steel you need and still have quite a bit of money left over. If you have never seen a welder before, it will take you about 15 mins of using a MIG or wire feed to figure out how to lay good beads. It takes zero room to weld, if you have a drive way or a place to park you can weld in it. If you have curious neighbors, throw them a welding helmet, a pair of gloves and put them to work holding stuff for you. It took me a week or so to build my bumper and brush guard, doing a little bit on it every night when I got home from work. Most of it was built in the driveway, just because I had more space out there than in my garage. I put $40 into it and most of that was for paint and D shackles. The lady at the local steel shop was hooking me up with free/cheap scrap metal. Even if you had to pay full price its still not very expensive. When ever possible I would much rather invest the money in tools and equipment instead of just buying the product. The tools and equipment will be around to use again long after you are finished with this project. If you planning on running trails with your XJ, sooner or later you’re going to need a welder to fix an ops!

Back