• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front driveshaft swap question

Jeff in VA

<---respect
Are MJ and XJ shafts the same? I'm in the process of a 4WD conversion on my MJ but cannot find an MJ front DS, but have a line on an XJ one. I checked replacement parts #'s on a couple different parts-store websites and they list the same # for both vehicles, but I don't trust parts stores much.....especially websites
Can anyone confirm that they will swap? The shaft is coming out of an XJ, AW4, NP229 and going into the MJ w/ AX5, NP231. Plain old D30 front axle.
Thanks!
Jeff

No it won't fit, but only because of the different drivetrain configuration. The AX5 is shorter than the AW4.
Also I have no idea what type of mounting system is used with the 229.

Thanks for the info, Mac.
Dumb question maybe, but would an XJ DS with the same driveline (AX5, 231) swap? If so, I can look for one of those.
Jeff

Jeff in VA said:
Thanks for the info, Mac.
Dumb question maybe, but would an XJ DS with the same driveline (AX5, 231) swap? If so, I can look for one of those.
Jeff

It should swap. The difference between the various driveshafts is due to the different length. Engine+gearbox length defines where the driveshaft should start, to reach the axle. If one of the above is different, I think that the driveshaft will not fit.

Rgds

just take that driveshaft and get it cut down if it is too long ( about $30 at a DS shop) or get it retubed if it is too short (about $75 at a DS shop)...the ujoints are the same

If the DS is a standard Ujoint type configuration on each end instead of a flange, measure the distance between the center of the Ujoints and post it. I might have a shaft that would work for you.

Tom Houston
Loveland, Colorado

Back