• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny fluid

Drunk tank

NAXJA Forum User
Whats everyones favorite tranny fluid? Also, whats the best to use for the AW4: ATF3, Dextron III...? I just got the tanny cooler installed today and hopefully tomorrow will be replacing the radiator, draining the tranny, and hooking up the tranny cooler in series with the new radiator.

WOOT! :wierd:

if it is used for offroad use go with a synthetic... Use Royal Purple ATF i beleive its compatible with everything it is kinda pricey... $5-8 a quart... BUT it goes THREE TIMES THE FLUID CHANGE INTERVALS. they also make ps fluid radiator fluid and motor oil and lots others sometimes hard to find but very worth it.

Synthetics, especially Mobil 1, are discouraged for use in the AW4. I use Castrol regular, it is very good, but it doesn't really matter. Just change it every 30,000 miles. And use label Dexron III/Mercon only.

Drunk tank said:
hmmm... I checked my Haynes manual... its sayin ATF MERCON.

Can someone explain the differance between the different designations?
Dexron/Mercon is pretty much the same stuff. Most fluid manufactures's standard ATF is labeled Dex/Merc III. Ford and GM are probably the only ones that sell an ATF that is just Labeled as Dexron or as Mercon. ;) Just stay away from Type F and ATF+3/+4

Jackhill442 said:
Synthetics, especially Mobil 1, are discouraged for use in the AW4. I use Castrol regular, it is very good, but it doesn't really matter. Just change it every 30,000 miles. And use label Dexron III/Mercon only.

Who discourages it? I have been searching the web for awhile and haven't seen any evidence that anyone discourages synthetics in the AW4. I have run Amsoil in everything I have owned and never had any problems with it in any vehicle. I would like to know what problems people have been seeing.

Just a question from a non-owner who's picking up a used XJ in the very near future.

What is the normal use interval for tranny fluid change in the XJ Auto?

How does that interval change with moderate offroad use?

Most importantly, is it a pan drop deal or do you go to the flusher thing at AAMCO (I have no idea, owned standard trans all my adult life)

wescam said:
What is the normal use interval for tranny fluid change in the XJ Auto?
Check out http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/xj-a.html
wescam said:
How does that interval change with moderate offroad use?
Compare http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/xj-b.html

The pan doesn't need to be dropped, you can just pull the plug and drain a portion of the contents as long as you make sure it's done at the next scheduled interval as well. Since you're only changing a portion of the fluid, what really happens is that you are diluting th eworn stuff out. Even a pan drop isn't going to get everything, as the torque converter still holds several quarts.

Thanks Yucca-Man -- runs off to read your stuff.

Back