• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exhaust routing

HossHoffer

NAXJA Forum User
I'm rerouting my exhaust due to headers ('85 2.5l ax-5) under the tranny and wanted to make sure there is no problem with the heat generated by this on the transmission. It previously ran in front of the transmission and below the oil pan. Thanks, Hoss:)

Hey Hoss, hooking up those headers? I did exactly what you are talking about. I actually still have the tube that goes from the header flange over under the tranny if you want it. I've been welding up my new exhaust connections.

Tom Houston

Ok you guys got me curious! I want pictures!

Hoss bought a 2.5L engine I had in my XJ. It was configured with a Mopar StageIII cam and Clifford headers. The reason I sold the engine was that I am stuffing a 4.7L Stroker in my 85XJ.

Ok so talk to me! I got a stage III cam but have not installed it yet. How are the Clifford headers? Any problems and were they costly? So you had to rerout the exhaust for them? Hoss and I are discusing the posiable tbi stuff he has. You still have the computer and wire harness?

Yes, I have the complete harness ready to plug into the firewall. All you have to do is route a wire back to the fuel pump. I would like to get $35. The Stage III cam is great. I did everything at once, but I picked up power all across the band. The torque was much better, especially on the low end. I also put a tri-county inertia wheel on the flywheel. It made crawling a breeze.

I need a pump too. And the computer and the ignition....... But that will come in time. Just assembling parts right now. So I'd do $35. Would that be shipped? I want to bore it out when I do the cam too. Any thoughts would be appreciated! [email protected]

I have the complete fuel pump assy. It has the fuel guage and float. If you tank has the bung hole type access there is a chance it will fit. The pump is 4 months old. I also have a trail spare. The harness and pumps shipped would be $75. Add $10 if you want the coil. You will need to find your own distributor.

Ok im biting! $85 for coil, pump, & harness shipped. That works you got a paypal account? Hit me back channel or pm me.

Flywheel?

I also put a tri-county inertia wheel on the flywheel. It made crawling a breeze.

More info please! I'm starved for more!

Ok, it mentions something I heard/read about in a 4x4 mag recently. It talked about using a lighter flywheel. Read Aluminum here! I have my original flywheel that has some broken bolts in it that I was thinking of getting a shop to build me an aluminum one or getting them to lighten it! But other projects and things have taken priority. Ever heard anything about this?

I used to run a lightened flywheel on my drag cars. It allows the vehicle to rap faster. Better throttle response. Thats nice on the street but when climbing rocks, smoother is better. On a big engine you can get away with a lighter flywheel because you have more hp and torque as well as more cylinders firing per revolution. With a 4 banger it is a long time between cylinder firing at low rpm's. That is why the 4 banger tends to buck and stall. The inertia ring in scientific terms, integrates the energy. In other words the power is stored in the flywheel between cylinder firings to be used to continue the rotation of the engine and to drive the wheels. Most speed shops don't understand the physics of rock CRAWLING, and try to apply high rpm physics.

Forget the physics.......it works better, period. Check out the yahoo stroker forum. Even with the 6 cylinder stroker, it is recommeded to get the older heavier crank to aid in low rpm torque. Yes you don't have the fine throttle response, but try lugging you 4 banger with an aluminum flywheel at 400rpm.

Unless the person you talk to is a rock crawler, take what they say with a grain of salt.

Tom Houston

Ok, that actually makes sence to me. The article was in either JP or Petersons and I think it was in reference to the I-6 and the V-8's...... The mass of the heavyer flywheel will keep it turning between firing so she does not loose momentum. Are they expensive? If you dont mind me asking! Tri-County has not returend my e-mail yet on them. I think you perty much answeered everything though.

Back