• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hi Lift Jack Question

guther66

NAXJA Forum User
I'm in the market to purchase a hi lift jack. Of course there is the name brand Hi Lift jack, but is there another brand that is better? And with the Hi Lift jack, which is better, the all cast or steel. I've found some opinions saying the cast is better, why? Can someone please enlighten me.
Thanks

Don't accept substitutes, especially if it's the cheap Chinese junk from Harbor Freight. I've got the cast and steel 48" as well, with no problems. Be very careful with it however and realize it WILL try to kill you if you let your attention waver...

I've got the steel (not cast) HiLift and the body (mechanism) of the jack and the beam are cast. The foot and the handle are rolled or punched. Cast versions Ive seen have a cast foot. I think either version is rated the same would serve well. Ive checked out the ones at Tractor Supply and they appear to be the same as mine but the Harbor Freight units look like they are made cheaper, thinner. I dont think you will find a "better" one than HiLift brand. You can find one cheaper.
I cant tell you is the cast one is better or not. Like I said, Ive got the steel one but the body is Cast along with the beam. The foot is the only thing different I've noticed. Maybe they were short of steel parts the day mine left the factory or something but if the only difference is the foot, then big deal, get the cheapest one.
On a side note. Hi lifts are very handy but they are also very dangerous. Using them is full of "what ifs". What if the vehicle falls to the side, what if the jack slips, what if my hand slips off the handle. Always keep the "what ifs" in mind when using one.

Back