• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I would like to know real difference between (info inside)!!!

98XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have been thinking, thinking and thinking !!!
I need a real input from guys who run LongArm (proper set-up), Clayton and such. Not an input as to how great this set-up off-road. My Jeep can do pretty good (both axles have lockers). I need real input on differences in every day driving, especially on hiway (long trips). What kind ob behavier you get from LongArm at different speeds? What kind of reaction you get when hitting a bump or a crack on freeway? There won't be issue with frnt pinion angle because frnt axle has hubs.
My Jeep is between 5-6 inches and equipped with longer LCA and adj UCA.
With this set up I get sort of harsh ride. Not seriously bad, I've lived with it for 4 years. So, I am just weighting my options wether or not invest in LongArm!

Thanks !
LET THE FORCE BE WITH YOU ! :worship:

You want a harsh ride, try Rough Country. I added Teraflex LA's with Tera adjustable uppers. It rides like an entirely different vehicle. My 45 min commute is much more tolerable.

The reason behind the harsh ride when you hit a bump is due to the steep angles of you control arms, because in order for your suspension to compress the axle needs to move forward. If you look at a jeep Xjs control arms the look flat (like=) aposed to a lifted Xj's control arms( like//). Do you see what I mean? There are two ways to fix it, the cheapest would be to run dropboxes to cut down on the angles, and the other option is long arms. Both have there own advantages and disadvatanges. Do a seach I learned all about this stuff from the site.

Disclaimer:this is only my opinion!After going to 5+" I had to do something!Drop brackets would have solved some of my concerns but not all,decided to take the chance with a "radius" arm design(not sure on a good definition of LA's).Its now been almost 2 years,the ride on/offroad has greatly improved,flex is really the same since I changed nothing else(when I did the conversion) and already ran RE SF Arms.

stock XJ have CA's parallel to the ground, with LA's, the mounts are moved closer to the center of the XJ providing less of a steep angle and closer to parallel. so overall, a closer to stock highway ride... not to mention more flex. if you plan on selling ur XJ anytime, i'd get RE drop brackets, cuz they too will correct those CA angles.

Brandon
LA's require cutting off the LCA mounts on the frame... its a lot easier to unbolt some DB's than trying to weld on some new frame LCA mounts. but thats only if you plan on selling ur rig at stock specs eventually! HTH

I'm running the Full Traction lift at 6" and 35"s. It seems smoother to me than the 4.5 RE6130 kit I had on another XJ. With the 35"s, 4BS, I do touch the lower controlarm in certain parking situations...that is what I don't like. Don't know if there is a way around that.

Back