• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tubing weight

theslacker

NAXJA Forum User
Does any one know how much DOM tubing weighs per foot? I'm designing a roof rack and don't want too much weight up high. I'm thinking 1.5" .120 wall for the frame and 1.25" .120 for the rest. Has anyone built one and have any tips or advice. I'm pretty new to metal fab. Cheers

That is a thick wall for a roof rack. For comparison, the minimum thickness for a roll bar for formula SAE car is .083", so you can go way less than that with still being able to stand on it, hold stuff, and whatever else. Check around to see what others have done but off the top of my head .030-.050" would work fine.

.065 is a good thickness for racks. I don't think you'd want to go much thinner than that.

Consider 3/4" X .065, less than 1/2 lb/foot, but plenty strong enough to do the job.

Last edited:
I'm using 1" square .060" wall for the main support and .5" square ~.090" wall for the cross braceing/floor. It will prent strong to stand on and its already getting a bit heavy.

Back