• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cutting fenders/paint problems

cherowagon

NAXJA Forum User
hey all,

i am going to use a dremell tool to cut my fenders. if anyone can recommend otherwise, let me know.

my question is this. i am going to hack it straight off with the bottom of the blinkers. what issues am i gong to have with the paint? will it burn? will it start to peel, or chip? should i lay a bead of clear fingernail polish down on the cut?

cherowagon said:
hey all,

i am going to use a dremell tool to cut my fenders. if anyone can recommend otherwise, let me know.

my question is this. i am going to hack it straight off with the bottom of the blinkers. what issues am i gong to have with the paint? will it burn? will it start to peel, or chip? should i lay a bead of clear fingernail polish down on the cut?

Well I used an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel.Put several layers of masking tape on, drew a line in the middle of the tape where I was going to cut, and went at it.Absolutely no burning or chipping of paint.

your cutting your fenders for most likely bigger tires, and your worryed about your paint? is this jeep going to see the woods? so i just have to ask

Youll never make it through with a dremel tool. Youll use 100 cut off wheels and still never make it. Even a jig saw with a fine metal blade would work over the angle grinder. Wouldnt worry about the paint with the jig or angle grinder. If you use the angle grinder definetly tape it off and use a thin blade.

yup dremel will take forever i used a jig saw and it worked perfect u just want to use one with a long stroke so your not there all day. mine cut just as fast as i wanted and prob took me 30seconds to do the actual cut i just used a lot of tape to make sure the foot of the jigsaw would not damage the surounding metal (this was before i realized that 4wheeling involved beating the snot out of my heep)

diabloxj said:
your cutting your fenders for most likely bigger tires, and your worryed about your paint? is this jeep going to see the woods? so i just have to ask

thanks for the info.

oh, by the way, just because i wheel my heep doesn't mean i want the paint peeling off my fenders. ;) dick.

please, anybody else want to add there personal experience to the matter? it is greatly appreciated.

thanks

Last edited:
I did mine with an angle grinder, and still used 2 wheels (one per side). I would tape, I didn't--I just sprayed over it with a rattle can, but I put my flares back on.

whosyourdaddy? said:
Youll never make it through with a dremel tool. Youll use 100 cut off wheels and still never make it. Even a jig saw with a fine metal blade would work over the angle grinder. Wouldnt worry about the paint with the jig or angle grinder. If you use the angle grinder definetly tape it off and use a thin blade.

:sure: I did mine with a dremel and heavy duty cut off wheels. Went through about 4 wheels per wheelwell. Not hard, and much better then a sawzall.

Well,angle grinder+3x1/16" discs+5 minutes with no paint burning did this!!!
cheromanche%20002.jpg

whosyourdaddy? said:
Youll never make it through with a dremel tool. Youll use 100 cut off wheels and still never make it.
spobi i used one for mine the first time and it worked fine. 2-3 per wheelwell. second go round for fine touches and the thicker spots i used a grinder with the thinnest wheel i oculd find.

Back