• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

33s on 3" lift

jkkj

NAXJA Forum User
I have made up my mind, and I'm gonna do it. Flame if you must, and answer my questions if you can.

I have a 98 xj. It has a skyjacker softride 3" lift that has been on my xj since 2000. I have been running 31 10.50s with minimal rubbing on 3.75BS wheels and also have a set of 31 10.50s on a factory set of ford ranger wheels with no rubbing at all(well maybe a little) with both sets of wheels I have never torn off any of the factory plastic. By next week I will be running 4.56 gears and be locked front and rear. It would be a crime not to put 33s on it. I have decided on SS TSL radial 33 10.50s.

My plan is to bumbstop it up and do as little trimming as possible. I might even settle for a skyjacker type job on the factory flares. I was brought up on fairly stock ford products so I don't know if I will miss that flex or not. The questions I have are:

Can anyone put me in the ballpark with how much bumpstop to use front and rear?

What problems would arrise from moving the front axel forward with adjustable control arms or other like products?

I have a front winchbumper I made, and don't have to worry about hitting anything up front. I know I'm a tightwad, but if I go up anymore then I got to do driveshaft, SYE, lift, and on and on. I still like being able to drive this thing every day. I guess I'm not full fledge hardcore yet, but I still want a rig that will get the job done.

I figure after this summer the addiction will take over, and who knows what will happen then.

i run about 4"lift on my 99 and run a 33x12.50 on 4"bs wheels. i have trimmed alot, basically as much as i can in the rear without welding. and in the front i have it up to the point where the bottom of the windshield washer fluid is showing a little. i had to add about 2" of bumpstops front and rear andi still get a little rubbing but it is harmless. i used a hammer and grinder to smooth out hte big sem in the front fender. made cuts in it then banged it flat. you really wanna do that or it will tear you rtires up quick. flex is still pretty good for me. you run with your swaybars discoed? i dont see how you dont even hit plastic if you have them off. hope this helps

It does give me some reference. I still have a little looking and measuring to do. Wish I had a forklift.

I do run discoed, and it does rub a little, but I have never taken it easy on the thing and I have not ever had it tear any plastic off or had to repair any damage.

Since I have brought up front control arms. Can anyone tell me what would be the advantage to building a Longarm setup over running control arm/trailing arm off of say a ranger/bronco. I've read a lot of Longarm posts and don't know that I have ever heard that mentioned. I guess if you mounted it dirrectly under the frame, rocks would be hard on that connection, but it seems the same would be true for a longarm. Any discussion?

33's and 3" sounds like a good plan to me, especially if you go offroad. I have a fender trimming tech article as well as an adjusting your bumpstops article on my website that might help you out.

BLING,,ya do some trimming, dont be scared, its a fender, if you want to do something else after then trim REPLACE it..

The way I wound out how much to trim with 33s and a 3" lift was, whatever bent and crumpled when I flex had to be cut. its still like that today.
sandflex5.jpg

jkkj said:
Wish I had a forklift.

loading docks in industrial sectors work nicely as RTI and "will my tire stuff all the way?" ramps...
i sugest that you trim conservatively - its easy to take more off - expensive and harder to put it back on.
Trim a little, put the 33's on, then drive to a loading dock and see what you hit. When you hit - stop and measure how you much space between the current bumpstop and the coil pad / axle there is and that is how much you need. Or look at the fenders and see what is in the way and decide if you want to remove it...

hope this helps...
-Ranger

Could you guys that are running this setup post up some pics. I am going to be cutting more and putting 33's on my 3" lift in the near future and would like to see some more pics. thanks

Lore5 said:
Could you guys that are running this setup post up some pics. I am going to be cutting more and putting 33's on my 3" lift in the near future and would like to see some more pics. thanks

Yeah pics would be great!!! Creeperjeeper ae those 33s? They look like 31s to me.

The previous owner of my '88 tried 33's and 3"...

rubbed quite a bit...

extended shackles out back and a spacer up front should be an easy fix...

Unless you change your mind about trimming...

Depending on your rim offset, you just might squeak by...

heres mine, i'll try and get a pic of it just sitting if you want me to

untitled2.bmp

DSC00190.jpg

616651.bmp

photobucket shrunk those two. i'll see what i can get for ya tomorrow if you want

Last edited:
Hey Lore5, I caught your post on the other forum.

Hey, why don't you get more lift? and Real trail rigs have more that three inches of lift!

I'm glad to see the responses that I have gotten to this post. All the "search"ing I have done gave me the opinion only hacked up trail only rigs could accomplish 33s with 3inches of lift, and they were few and far between.

I'm gonna cut the factory flare at the body line and trim below that. Think I'll start with 4 inches of bump up front and the adjustable bumpstops that go on top of the spring pack in the back. Massage it all till I'm happy with how it works, and then I guess the only thing that will be left is to try and tear it up. Won't the wife be proud.

What are your guys thoughts about a steering brace. On the bumper I made the outside of the framerail has 3/16 channel running down it. Would it be better if I bought a C-Rok style or made my own inside plate or added one of those steering braces that come from the other side?

dude 33's on a 3 inch would be cool. if u dont want to do any triming stay with 31's if u go any bigger you will most likely pop both front flairs off and the rear bumper caps. i took the plasma cutter to my front fenders and just trimmed a little in the back. but i also have 6 inches of lift. maby think of doing a spacr on top of ur lift to make it a 4 inch or so. i have the 6 inch and i dont have any drive shaft problems.

i still have my sye in the box. stock driveshafts are doin fine for me. u wont have that much troble if u go another inch and mabe a trans case drop. shud be good:)

as promised here are some more, i'll try and measure and get my lift height. kinda curious now
DSC01228.jpg

DSC01227.jpg

DSC01226.jpg

I like to see that someone uses their jeep and isnt afraid to cut fenders. I like the dents in the rear driver door. shows some use...looks like mine after this...
snow2.jpg

i dont think anyone talked about the fact that he has a newer body style. I have 4 inch and 31s and when i flex i run in the front a little. If you want 33's your going to have to cut a lot off and on a 4 door the back doesnt have much room. Id save the hassle and just go with a 2 in spacer in the front and a new leaf pack or a shackle in the back. No sense dealing with the cutting and bumpstops if you dont have to.

Back