• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 XJ SYE question

Purple

NAXJA Forum User
Well, i have accumulated enough money to finally buy a SYE for my 98 XJ, its an automatic. How would i know if thats a 27spline or not? what to look for? Where to look? What kit would be a better one? is AA ok? how many miles do you usualy get out of yours?

The transfer cases are 21-spline and 23-spline ... and that refers to the input shaft, not the output shaft. The SYE replaces the output shaft. I think you're confusing axle spline count with transfer case spline count.

so, does that mean that all the output shafts on 97+ xjs are the same?

Although there are differences in the shafts themselves(all years/231/242),there is no difference in the "spline" count!Are you dealing with a 242 or a 231,for the price Id go with the HD unit if you have a 231!TW makes a nice hybrid unit for the 242!

About five years ago I installed a Currie/SixStates sye on my '98 242 when Tom Woods was working there. No problems whatsover w/the sye, blew a ujoint resulting from gross lack of lubrication, though.

I'd talk to Tom Woods, I'm not really up on today's 242 syes', and I really don't do any h/d wheeling. But after 95k all's well.

Didn't know I had to split the t/c in half (on the ground) and all the associated work to do the job. I'm glad I didn't realize what it entailed before ordering the mods. I might have been intimidated. But looking back, it wasn't all that complicated, just had to do things methodically. After shimming the axle, smooth as silk.

Mike #300

Back