• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.8 axle swap - drums to discs

buffalomatt350

NAXJA Forum User
OK so I did a search on this, but all of the good info I found, the guys were swapping in an 8.8 with drums. When I swap in my 8.8, I want it to have discs. I'm already planning on disabling/removing the ABS system, but my question is this: If anybody's done this, did you have to change the proportioning valve, or master cylinder, and is it possible that those parts from a Grand Cherokee could be used?? Or are there any good tech writeups on this, where they swapped in an 8.8 with discs? Any help is greatly suggested.

Thanks,
Matt

Your looking for a 95+ explorer 8.8. These will have the disc brakes you are looking for.

I've got an 8.8 in the back of my rig and I didn't swap prop valves or master cylinder.

http://www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/ford88.html
swaped into a YJ - but SOA so its the same as the XJ

Ben is a good firend of mine and quick to respond on e-mail, so shoot him any questions while your working and im sure he would help you out...

-Ranger

I did a swap into a YJ and a XJ, both w/discs. There is no need to change prop valve or master cyl. It is by far the easiest and most afforable axle/brake upgrade that can be done. You'll need to reweld the spring perches and get some ZJ ebrake cables(or you can use Exploder cables with modification). Oh and a driveshaft adapter flange.

flexj said:
You'll need to reweld the spring perches and get some ZJ ebrake cables(or you can use Exploder cables with modification). Oh and a driveshaft adapter flange.

OK, please enlighten the idiots amongst us: where can you source a driveshaft adapter flange? I guess it's so that the driveshaft links to the diff - is that right?

Also, how easy is it to find out if the ratios of a donor diff are the same as a stock XJ?

I swapped out my '99 (drums with ABS) to a '95 sploder 8.8 with discs. Didn't change a thing and it works great. I've heard of people having to mess with the proportioning valve but there was no need in my case.

Chancer said:
OK, please enlighten the idiots amongst us: where can you source a driveshaft adapter flange? I guess it's so that the driveshaft links to the diff - is that right?

Also, how easy is it to find out if the ratios of a donor diff are the same as a stock XJ?
http://www.mountainoffroad.com/

Everything you need here.

Chancer said:

Usually the Ford diffs have a tag on them with the ratio. The most common is 3.73 but 4.10 is an option. If you're doing a stock XJ, it's a good time to regear the front.

Chancer said:
Does that mean I *have* to regear, or can I get away with having a different ratio in the front diff. Hmm, guess who doesn't go offroading much?!
Yes, you have to regear.
You can drive it in 2WD with different ratios but if you shift into 4WD you'll hear a real bad sound in a hurry.

Chancer said:
Does that mean I *have* to regear, or can I get away with having a different ratio in the front diff. Hmm, guess who doesn't go offroading much?!

If you don't go off roading much, why go to all the trouble of the swap? Just put a 8.25 or d35 in. Save you a bunch of $$ and time.

flexj said:
If you don't go off roading much, why go to all the trouble of the swap?
It was because I'd found an 8.8 for the same price as the rear drum componentry I need to replace! Panic over though: I think I've got the stuff for a rear disc conversion for the same price.

Back