• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oh no not another cb thread

Bmxpunk1369

NAXJA Forum User
Alright this is just a quick question about a magnamount antenna. Would it create any rf noise if i ran a hard line coaxial cable from the cb to the trunk and made a coupling there so i could screw a magnamount antenna on when i needed it. I wanted to put on a fiberglass on the rear quarter but the antenna wacking everything over 6 ft would become a PITA. I just wanted to make the magnamount a semi permanent antenna. So run coaxial from cb to trunk (hiding the wires along the way) and leave a little male peice out and just screw a magnamount antenna with the female peice onto the male peice and have it not screw up the rf and make it sound like shit.

if you buy the right adaptor that is shielded properly - then you should be fine...

also - i would mount the fe-male end in the wall, so that the male "Penis" isnt sticking out to get bent and "shit" like that... as you so elloquently put it...

Bmxpunk1369 said:
Alright this is just a quick question about a magnamount antenna. Would it create any rf noise if i ran a hard line coaxial cable from the cb to the trunk and made a coupling there so i could screw a magnamount antenna on when i needed it.

First, Heliax is serious stuff, look here: http://www.timesmicrowave.com/

Second, why a mag mount if you want to use any type of "couple", read that as PL-259 or SO-259...

Third, "hardline" / Heliax gives not one inch, so if you have no "straight" line runs you will not be able to use it anyways.

Fourth, RF "noise" would be the very least of any worries...

Bmxpunk1369 said:
I wanted to put on a fiberglass on the rear quarter but the antenna wacking everything over 6 ft would become a PITA. I just wanted to make the magnamount a semi permanent antenna. So run coaxial from cb to trunk (hiding the wires along the way) and leave a little male peice out and just screw a magnamount antenna with the female peice onto the male peice and have it not screw up the rf and make it sound like shit.

In the end, you could do a permanet installation, but the time and effort spent might not pass the "break even" for effort if you do not have a good analyzer.

What's wrong with a mag mount on the roof?

--ron

Back