• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Re Gearing Question ?

creeknxj

NAXJA Forum User
Looking to re gear from 3.55s to 4.10s

01' XJ LTD 4.0L Auto NP242
DANA30 / DANA35 with Trac-Loc
GY M/Ts 245/75R16(31s) on 16x8 mopar wheels w/5"BS

Question: Can I still use the rear Trac-Loc or do I have to remove it. I'm hoping I can re gear and still keep the Trac-Loc and add a locker or limited slip up front.

Thanks

Last edited:
Can anyone help with this?
Will I need to replace the trac Loc when I re gear from 3.55 to 4.10

I'm unsure what the break point is on the carrier. If you have a Four Wheel Parts & Wholesalers' Catalog you should be able to find the info there. If not, you might find the information on their website

By the way, you meant 4.56 gears, not 4.10s :)

For what you'd spend regearing that D35, you could swap in a post 95 Explorer 8.8 from an Eddie Bauer Edition already geared to 4.11, with 31 spline axles and disc brakes.
Just a thought . . .

Yeah, you need a new carrier to go higher than 3.55's on a D35. Sorry.

I'd think about a D44 or 8.8 before I regeared and locked a D35, unless you wheel moderately and will NEVER go larger than 31's. Going rate on an XJ D44 is $400-500......not much more in the overall picture, since you're going to get new gears anyway.

Thanks
I think I will re think this and look at replace the rear with Dana44 or Ford 8.8

Same carrier

The 3.55 carrier on the D35 will work with 4.10s. The D30 needs a new carrier for 4.10.
But why? I did 4.10 and wish I had done 4.56.

Thread Hyjack!!!!!

So some of you think the D30 and D35 are weak. But what about behind a 4 popper? I want to go to 4.88's in mine so the 4 popper can turn 33's a little better. Anyone have any opions on that? And b4 you say it 33's is where I plan to stay right now. What about brands? Who has the best bang for the buck? I know Genuin is a no. What about Drivetrain dirrect? OR Randys?

I remember when our midwest MJ wheeler had his rig.....had a 4-popper in it.....

Based on what I saw that guy do with his jeep, there's no way I could bag on the 4cyls ever, you won't hear 6cyl snobbery from me......

that said, I'd do 4.88's without question....

don't know about randys or drivetrain direct, but a bteer question may be to ask about brands, moreso than where to get them.

the answers will vary greatly, but its always a good question to ask.....

I'll stand out of the way now.

I have always had good service and best prices from Drive Train Direct, and when they sell me Dana/Spicer parts, I get Dana/Spicer parts. I've been informed by a stalwart XJer from Colorado that Randy tells you you're buying Dana parts but what you get in the package are Randy's own no-name brand gears. I'd suggest checking Drive Train Direct and then getting prices from Reider Racing, Dynatrac, and a couple of others you might feel are reliable, but IMHO you should avoid Randy's.

D35s make good mailbox posts and thats about it. I suppose a 35 shaft (flange cut off) could be hoseclamped & brazed to a tie-rod to getcha out of the woods...but I wouldn't claim it

Ghost if you need an 8.25 just holler. You won't need a new carrier for 4.88 (I don't think) and I have a low-mile track-lok just for you baby unless you dare to weld the open carrier and wheel it

Back