• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which manual tranny? AX5 or 15?

sweetjeep

NAXJA Forum User
Hey folks. sorry to bother you all with another stupid question..

I am still in the process of getting around to changing my tranny fluid..

I checked the FSM and it explains (vaguely) the difference between a 5 and a 15. Using their description I still can't figure out which one I have.

Of course the FSM chooses lousy drawings instead of pictures, lovely. Based on the drawings and lack of detail I can't exactly determine which is the fill hole. There seem to be bolts all over the place that could be the right one.

Anyone have a good concrete way I can determine which tranny I have and which bolt is the correct fill hole?

Thanks!

sweetjeep said:
Hey folks. sorry to bother you all with another stupid question..

I am still in the process of getting around to changing my tranny fluid..

I checked the FSM and it explains (vaguely) the difference between a 5 and a 15. Using their description I still can't figure out which one I have.

Of course the FSM chooses lousy drawings instead of pictures, lovely. Based on the drawings and lack of detail I can't exactly determine which is the fill hole. There seem to be bolts all over the place that could be the right one.

Anyone have a good concrete way I can determine which tranny I have and which bolt is the correct fill hole?

Thanks!

Manual should be AX15. what size motor 2.5 or 4.0 ? you will have a fill and drain plug on the drivers side I believe. drain plug is the lower one in the rear, and filler is the higher one more forward twords the engine.

if i remeber correctly the plug size for both is about a 22mm...

4.0 = Ax-15
2.5 = Ax-5

Hth

Year of vehicle is a factor as well. With the 4.0L engine, the tranny used from 1987 thriugh mid-1989 was the Peugeot BA10/5. From mid-'89 through 1999 it was the AX-15. 2000 and 2001 it was a NVG3550.

Eagle said:
Year of vehicle is a factor as well. With the 4.0L engine, the tranny used from 1987 thriugh mid-1989 was the Peugeot BA10/5. From mid-'89 through 1999 it was the AX-15. 2000 and 2001 it was a NVG3550.

If you have a 89 it's easy to spot the Peugeot unit as the case is split vertically, left half/right half with the drain plug in the rear and the fill on the right side. They use square odd size (under 3/8") plugs. Hint, grind a cheap short 3/8" extension to fit.

JoBo

Crud.

In my angry typing I forgot to mention it's a 99 Sport with a 4.0.

Red91 says about a 22mm bolt? Excellent.. Alright, hopefully I'll get a chance to take a look at it again today.

Thanks!

sweetjeep said:
Crud.

In my angry typing I forgot to mention it's a 99 Sport with a 4.0.

Red91 says about a 22mm bolt? Excellent.. Alright, hopefully I'll get a chance to take a look at it again today.

Thanks!
yeah my bolt was pretty damn big.

Back