• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Check eng. light on, need help

C-MuRdaA

NAXJA Forum User
OK check engine light has been going on and off for a few weeks now.

The code is P0455 "Emission Control System Leak"

Evaporative Emission System Purge
Central Valve Circuit Started

What the hell does that mean ...:rotflmao: and how do I fix it?

Might be gas cap. I have had the same code many times.
1. Seams to happen after filling tank. I have been told not to top off.
2. If I tighten cap to tight.
3. Most times when engine light comes on I have noticed fuel odor, but could not find the location of odor.

i know that jeep has some crappy gas caps. if you see rust nside the cap itis bad. also check to see if some of the rubber emissions lines are cracked and dry rotted between the firewall and the gas tank

Check all the "rubber" hose connections on all lines related to the fuel vapor circuit. The small sections of hose dry rot and leak; so they give the same indication to the computer as "solenoid failure" and "emissions system leak".
A lot of the connectors are in the engine compartment, some are under the chassie, most are about 2" long.

My '98 threw the same codes at me when it was only a few days new. It turned out to be a crack where the filler neck and the gas tank connect. The tank was replace under warranty.

Ivan

Back